Scolopendra species questions

Colby1100

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, Im looking to get another pede and had a few questions. I was looking at Scolopendra heros castaneiceps and Scolopendra heros arizonensis. Are these species very similar? Im trying to figure out how large each species gets and the difference in color between the two. Ive read a bunch of mixed information on them and would appreciate if anybody could clear this up for me. Thanks! Colby

NYAN

Arachnoking
They are the same species with a different color variation. The Sonoran variant tolerates drier conditions. The average adult size is 6-7 inches BL.

Colby1100

Arachnopeon
They are the same species with a different color variation. The Sonoran variant tolerates drier conditions. The average adult size is 6-7 inches BL.
Which species is the Sonoran variant?

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Which species is the Sonoran variant?
S. heros arizonensis. All S. heros variants can be kept identically though.

Here’s pics of every S. heros variant....

S. heros arizonensis:
ADE4EB52-6EF0-44AA-B7C2-C6A7CA44A676.jpeg

Scolopendra heros arizonensis “Madrean Banded”:
F88FB5FE-5092-48CC-A73F-4FFD7CCCF643.jpeg

Scolopendra heros heros: (Not my photo):
E2AAF3D3-3D2B-4B2D-A77F-E26047D40FEE.jpeg

Scolopendra heros heros “Blotched” (Not my photo):
A3A94E6E-5A3F-4912-B6E9-6CC616E909A2.jpeg

Scolopendra heros castaneiceps (Not my photo):
E7E4C9D1-969E-446D-ABD5-04FF21A5C783.jpeg

I highly recommend getting one. I absolutely adore mine....

Colby1100

Arachnopeon
S. heros arizonensis. All S. heros variants can be kept identically though.

Here’s pics of every S. heros variant....

S. heros arizonensis:
View attachment 338182

Scolopendra heros arizonensis “Madrean Banded”:
View attachment 338184

Scolopendra heros heros: (Not my photo):
View attachment 338190

Scolopendra heros heros “Blotched” (Not my photo):
View attachment 338187

Scolopendra heros castaneiceps (Not my photo):
View attachment 338188

I highly recommend getting one. I absolutely adore mine....
Sweet thanks for the pics. How often do you get to see yours? Does it stay buried all the time like other species? I know its difficult but im trying to find a species that can make at least a somewhat visible pet. Any recommendations?

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Sweet thanks for the pics. How often do you get to see yours? Does it stay buried all the time like other species? I know its difficult but im trying to find a species that can make at least a somewhat visible pet. Any recommendations?
When I first bought it, it was fairly active. Now? Not so much. I haven’t seen it in literally 6 months, but I honestly think that it has to do with the weather, and I suspect that once it starts to heat up, he/she’ll be out more often.

And with all pedes, burrowing behavior is to be expected. There’s no species that isn’t somewhat fossorial. S. heros are definitely more active than most other Scolopendra, but if you choose to buy one, there’s no guarantee that it won’t burrow itself for extended periods of time. And even if you do end up with one that’s on the shy side, the moments you catch it out and about will make it worthwhile, and you’ll cherish those moments :)

Colby1100

Arachnopeon
Yeah true. The one Im leaning towards I think is the Scolopendra heros castaneiceps. Do u know how large they get on average? Im looking for a large species of pede thats currently available. The gaint pedes like Galapagoensis and Gigantea are apparently not going to be around for a while 🙁. I had my heart set on one but since thats not possible I was looking for the next best thing that gets large. Thanks for the info!

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Yeah true. The one Im leaning towards I think is the Scolopendra heros castaneiceps. Do u know how large they get on average? Im looking for a large species of pede thats currently available. The gaint pedes like Galapagoensis and Gigantea are apparently not going to be around for a while 🙁. I had my heart set on one but since thats not possible I was looking for the next best thing that gets large. Thanks for the info!
All S. heros variants get around the same size as adults (7”-8” Body Length). @NYAN is actually selling some S. cf. virdicornis plings in the classifieds section of AB, so you could technically still get an SA giant. Just don’t take em all cause I want to pick one up myself ;)