Scolopendra sp. "Tiger Legs"

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's one of the many geographic morphs of Scolopendra suspinips. I wish you the very best of luck with those eggs. I'd love to add one of them to my collection.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
some of the most attractive Azian scolopendrids to my opinion :worship:

are these recent pictures ? as their egglaying-period should start around this time a year (in captivity in Europe that is :) )

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Absolutely beautiful, you planning on selling a few on the boards? :clap:

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
HI there
are u from Hong Kong?cuz i know ppl there call them tiger legs instaed of stripe legs

Zhaoermia118

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys,

Just some information. DNA sequencing on this species has initially revealed there is a 20% difference between Scolopendra sp. "Tiger Legs" and Scolopendra subsnipes. So its safe to say its not a S. subsnipes color form.

Hopefully we'll see a specific name for this new species.

Sam

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Just some information. DNA sequencing on this species has initially revealed there is a 20% difference between Scolopendra sp. "Tiger Legs" and Scolopendra subsnipes. So its safe to say its not a S. subsnipes color form.
very interesting stuff,
only question that comes to my mind when reading this,...
who identified the monsters for Sc.subspinipes ? and since subspinipes still has subspecie, to which subspec. the DNA of the striped legged ones was compared to ?
i don't know a thing about DNA, but is the DNA of a subspec. the same as the specie ?

please keep us up-to date on this one,
as these still are one of my favourite azian centipedes :)

PS: it's subspinipes instead of subsnipes.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: very beautiful pede! mine passed away 2months ago:( don't know why,but i will get another. nice shots of yours w/babies.

Zhaoermia118

Arachnopeon
All this information will come out in a paper, i'm not at liberty to discuss all the details because the author of the paper would like to present it in his paper. Once its out i'll let you guys know if you don't see it before i do.

Sam
Zoological Connections

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that's strange. i thought humans and monkeys had something like 97.X% the same DNA. how could something from the same genus be so different? are you only talking about some very specific subsection of DNA? i'm quite interested in finally seeing genetic analysis applied to our pets :D

hibludij

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i thought humans and monkeys had something like 97.X% the same DNA.
yes, i think i heard somewhere that humans and spounges have somethnig like 50% the same DNA, so whe should have something like 60-70% the same with centipedes :D . Just a gues...

ChineseDragon

Arachnopeon
I have 2, soon to be 4 of these Dragons and they fascinate me. Mine are both only around 2.5 inch pedelings but already vicious predators =P. Further more I acquired these from one of Phils aka bistrobob85s broods and there seems to be a morph in them as 1 has orange legs as pictured above and the other has yellow legs which is suspected to have less dominant tiger markings on it.

AZN owns,

~mark
Chinese Dragon

clockworkorange

Arachnopeon
Just a quick insight in the DNA thinggy:

I sequenced a particular mitochondrial gene, which proved to be a very good evolutionnary marker. So it is not the whole genome that is 20% divergent but a particular gene, known to have a fast mutation rate.

I compared the gene sequences of Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes/ dehaani/ mutilans from various location. So I have an idea of the differences between geographical clades and between subspecies. I believe that the whole S. subspinipes group has to be reviewed.

Hopefully I will be able to tell you more in a few weeks, once I am done with the morphometrics and the full analysis.

Cheers!

Mika

Zhaoermia118

Arachnopeon
you are supposed to keep this quiet!!! sssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhh :eek:

I sequenced a particular mitochondrial gene, which proved to be a very good evolutionnary marker. So it is not the whole genome that is 20% divergent but a particular gene, known to have a fast mutation rate.

I compared the gene sequences of Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes/ dehaani/ mutilans from various location. So I have an idea of the differences between geographical clades and between subspecies. I believe that the whole S. subspinipes group has to be reviewed.

Hopefully I will be able to tell you more in a few weeks, once I am done with the morphometrics and the full analysis.

Cheers!

Mika

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you are supposed to keep this quiet!!! sssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhh :eek:
No disrespect, but this has the makings of a great Farside cartoon – two guys in lab coats throwing giant centipedes at each other. Gary Larson would be proud.

Sorry... I couldn't resist. :eek:

About your research... :worship:

Zhaoermia118

Arachnopeon
Hey i'm not the one wearing the white coat! I'm just the one with pajamas and little red book!

No disrespect, but this has the makings of a great Farside cartoon – two guys in lab coats throwing giant centipedes at each other. Gary Larson would be proud.

Sorry... I couldn't resist. :eek:

About your research... :worship:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Cheers!

Mika
that makes WAAAAAY more sense

:worship: