Scolopendra sp. "Tiger Leg"

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't want them to die in my hands while I stubbornly try to keep them in a climate they absolutely cannot live in.

Any takers?
Don' give up too early and simply try it out. If you don't succeed you can stop keeping tigerlegs anytime you want.
Maybe you don't have problems keeping them in warmer environments - could depend on individuals. Who knows.

Cheers
Turgut

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Or at least even keeping the enclosures on the floor on a nice big peice of slate...Like the ones for roofs or paving, they stay very cold.
But I am going to take the radient heat pad off the top of mines tank now...

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Or at least even keeping the enclosures on the floor on a nice big peice of slate...Like the ones for roofs or paving, they stay very cold.
But I am going to take the radient heat pad off the top of mines tank now...
I keep mine in a closed cabinet, and it is probably very slightly cooler inside it than in the rest of the house, but I doubt that 1 or 2 degree difference would be of any significance.

Don' give up too early and simply try it out. If you don't succeed you can stop keeping tigerlegs anytime you want.
Maybe you don't have problems keeping them in warmer environments - could depend on individuals. Who knows.

Cheers
Turgut
Yeah true, but for me money is also a consideration. I had to sell a few things to raise the money to pay for the tiger legs, and I really don't want that money to go down the drain. :(

Last edited:

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A cheaper sollution to your problem, then airconditioning your room, might be to get a winecooler. Its a mini-fridge, just with a clear glass door, so you can still view your animals. Just a thought.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Interesting thread. Are there any other centipedes that do well in relatively cooler temps. like S. multidens & S. s. "tiger legs" in your experiences? Conversely, are there any that require higher than average temps?

Sorry to threadjack, Gavin, I just wonder how much temps have been responsible for 'mystery' deaths among 'pedekeepers.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

cooler temps that are not part of a hibernation (I exclude this case now) should apply to the tigerlegs, usually pedes from Cameron Highlands and most variants of Cormocephalus westwoodi.

S. multidens usually don't like too much humidity and should be kept on drier substrate as well as S. subcrustalis, but this has nothing to do with temp.

Cheers
Turgut