• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Scolopendra sp., likely local variant of S. arizonensis

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I was photographing my pede, which just is a dark morph of arizonensis or perhaps another sp....
Adult female, approx. 7" body length not including the head plate/antennae/terminals.

She has been out and about since she settled in, and this is my third time takeing pics of her. She was fed less than two hours previous to the bite.

I was attempting to take some macro shots as she was foraging, while "flailing" with her front 1/3 off the ground she managed to find my lens, and climbed the camera VERY quickly, I calmy pulled back and she had found my hand and decided that it was a serious threat.
She bit, a hot bite, my index finger 1/4 cm proximal of the 1st joint on my index finger.
Then moved to dead center of the joint (of all freaking places of my middle finger) and bit, another hot bite. The pain began radiating immediatley at both sites and is now intensifying. Im now understanding Caco's reference to the term "bone ache" no more than 15 mins post envenomation. Ironically enough, he warned me of the potency of thier venom, and I decided to not handle her again.....:rolleyes: Here are pics within 5 minutes of the bite.....

\

The pain is still resembling the initial burn of a bee sting, and my hand is now very stiff ( im typing with my right hand). Even though the swelling has stopped, the stifness is now generalized in my whole left arm, my hand feels "arthritic"...not immobile...just very stiff and basicalyy feels like it has a 2nd degree burn around the bite areas. My friend just called me, Im leaving to the bar, I need to take my mindoff of it.

Traditional painrelievers did nothing. My left arm is still in a decent amount of pain. Contact around the site causes it to begin to burn again. The swelling is almost gone, as with the redness. The pain is subsiding but the stiffness seems to becoming worse.

Synopsis>>>>>>Dont get bit by large pedes.....{D

Last edited by a moderator:

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Just realized I never made a follow up.....:D

My hand and forearm swelled on and off for just under two weeks, VERY noticable when I would make a fist. My lymphatic system was affected in an outwardly obvious fashion, my GF even commented on my armpit being visibly swollen for well over a week, they were sore during this time as well.
Itching occured around the bites for well over two weeks. My left hand, arm, pectoral muscle, and shoulder were stiff up until about 12 days ago, notciably stiff. Im not sure if I had a mild allergic reaction or the bite was that severe.

I still agree with my previous synopsis.....;)