Scolopendra sp. "Haiti" ???

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
MantidAssassins said:
The PDF file only opened to page 71. Is there a direct link to the page?
Have you tried to read the page-numbering on the pages inside the PDF instead of the number of pages of the document itself ?

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
MantidAssassins said:
Can you just answer the question?
As far as i can see Steven has answered your question. Look on the page number he provided you with in the link i gave. The pdf fil is taken out of a paper with more pages, therefore the pdf page numbers don't match the page numbers in the document.

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have ordered/owned more than one "hatian giant centipede", and i am curious how such a popular animal in availibility can be so mislabeled so consistently. :wall:
I am trying to list my newest one on my permit form, and no one can agree on a name! The order form from the shop i order from didn't even have one listed, just the common name, which is strange in itself.
So these theoretically come from tanzania instead?
:rolleyes:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
MantidAssassins said:
Can you just answer the question?
If you're asking me to put the entire anatomical features of Scolopendra morsitans you should know that i can't,...

why ?

let me quote yourself from an earlier discusion we had about the same subject in this old tread (sorry for bringing up old topics,...)

MantidAssassins said:
In the US it is illegal to post copyright material. I am sorry for assuming you knew that, if you didn't.
But i'll give you a simple key why the pede in the beginning of this tread isn't a Scolopendra morsitans
(also to be found on page 9 in "A Syopsis of the North American Centipedes of the Order Scolopendromorpha (Chilopoda) by R.M. Shelley":

Cephalic plate overlapping first tergite

wich i think is one of the keys that isn't visible on most pictures you'll find of the pede "known as morsitans" in the hobby.

i'm also curious where did you get the info of your description of the "Sc.morsitans" in your guide ?
reading your Bibliography i came across the guide of Sandefer and the synopsis of R.Shelly,... which both don't make notice of Sc.morsitans having 4 smooth basal antennae segments. the other sources in the Bibliography i'm not aware of,... so please clear this one out for me too.

thanx

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Steven said:
If you're asking me to put the entire anatomical features of Scolopendra morsitans you should know that i can't,...
I asked for specific reference as to why you believe you have 'discovered' the correct identification. You are playing games. I'd prefer you play with yourself.

Last edited:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Kristin Cullen said:
i have ordered/owned more than one "hatian giant centipede", and i am curious how such a popular animal in availibility can be so mislabeled so consistently. :wall:
I am trying to list my newest one on my permit form, and no one can agree on a name! The order form from the shop i order from didn't even have one listed, just the common name, which is strange in itself.
So these theoretically come from tanzania instead?
:rolleyes:
There are different giant centipedes found in Haiti. S.morsitans is found in Haiti and Africa but yours may be S.alternans or possibly another species or genus.
Maybe see if you are allowed to just put "Scolopendra sp."?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
MantidAssassins said:
I asked for specific reference as to why you believe you have 'discovered' the correct identification. You are playing games. I'd prefer you play with yourself.
1st:
have i ever claimed that i've discovered something ?
NO

2nd:
ANSWER the question !

jeeeeeeeez what's your problem ?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have another question. I've got two of these pedes that looks the same except that I'm counting 16-17 antenae segments on one of them and 20 on the other. Is it normal for it to vary this much or are they different species or something? :confused:
And a second thing, as you can see they have a miteproblem and I don't know how to get rid if it. Any tips? :( :wall: It seems to be getting worse :mad:

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Jim,

I've had problems with these type of mites before. There are two options for getting rid of them. The cheaper method is to reduce the humidity in the enclosure by increasing the ventilation and drying out the substrate. i've found this to be very effective, although it takes a few weeks to kill off all of the mites. If you do this, make sure there is a waterbowl full of water available at all times, centipedes can dessicate very quickly. The other, more expensive, method is to keep the humidity in the enclosure reasonably high and buy some predatory Hypoaspis mites from a garden centre or online. These are effective at eating the parasitic mites off the pede, and will then die out themselves.

Cheers,

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, I'll try the drying first and see if it works.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
423 said:
I have another question. I've got two of these pedes that looks the same except that I'm counting 16-17 antenae segments on one of them and 20 on the other. Is it normal for it to vary this much or are they different species or something? :confused:
it can vary 1 or 2 segments,... but it can also be a case of segments lost during a fight or while getting stuck underneath a stone or something ;)