Scolopendra polymorpha as a 1st centipede?

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
so looking to branch out into centipedes and scorpions got a scorpion picked and looking at centipedes now and don’t want to get one that grows huge and these are advertised as only reaching a max of 18 cm (7 inch) so liking the sound of it but are they doable for a 1st time centipede owner I currently have I think 18 spiders and waiting on another and a mystery box so don’t know how many will be in that so have some experience

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scolopendra polymorpha are good beginner centipedes - easy to keep, convenient size, not dangerous. Where I live they are common, and I periodically catch them in the house. I can catch them by hand to release them outdoors and I've never had one bite me. They can also be kept in small groups, at least if given deep substrate and plenty of room. (I've got several living in a 10 gallon terrarium.) The flip side, though, is that they stay hidden a lot.

squidkid

Arachnoknight
They can also be kept in small groups, at least if given deep substrate and plenty of room. (I've got several living in a 10 gallon terrarium.) The flip side, though, is that they stay hidden a lot.
really? i've never heard of them being communal

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
so looking to branch out into centipedes and scorpions got a scorpion picked and looking at centipedes now and don’t want to get one that grows huge and these are advertised as only reaching a max of 18 cm (7 inch) so liking the sound of it but are they doable for a 1st time centipede owner I currently have I think 18 spiders and waiting on another and a mystery box so don’t know how many will be in that so have some experience
Definitely. S. polymorpha is a great species to start with. If some of your spiders are OW Ts, you’ll be ready for centipedes. I’ve found my C. lividus to be much harder to work with than any centipede species I’ve ever kept.

squidkid

Arachnoknight
Definitely. S. polymorpha is a great species to start with. If some of your spiders are OW Ts, you’ll be ready for centipedes. I’ve found my C. lividus to be much harder to work with than any centipede species I’ve ever kept.
lol my albopilosum has more of an attitude than the polymorphas i've

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Most my Ts are OW only one I really get bother from is my big P Regalis got to tap the enclosure before you open it if she’s not in her cork or she just bolts lol

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
really? i've never heard of them being communal
I put several of them together in a ten-gallon terrarium maybe a year and a half to two years ago. They are still doing well. I have seen interactions between them that were non-violent - they just rear back, check each other out briefly, then go on their own ways. But "communal" is not the correct word. "Communal" usually implies a degree of cooperative behavior, such as communal hunting or feeding. In this case they are merely tolerant of each other.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I put several of them together in a ten-gallon terrarium maybe a year and a half to two years ago. They are still doing well. I have seen interactions between them that were non-violent - they just rear back, check each other out briefly, then go on their own ways. But "communal" is not the correct word. "Communal" usually implies a degree of cooperative behavior, such as communal hunting or feeding. In this case they are merely tolerant of each other.
Interesting, have others tried keeping multiples of these or other centipede species together without losses?

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Interesting, have others tried keeping multiples of these or other centipede species together without losses?
S. mutilans is well known for living in groups. Someone posted a few months ago that they had kept a pair of S. dehaani together safely in a large terrarium for a long period of time, which inspired me to set up an experiment with three S. dehaani sharing a large terrarium. Mine are still doing well a couple months into it, but I'd still consider it very experimental. (On a different occasion I put two S. dehaani together for breeding, but the female immediately chose lunch instead.) I've heard of other non-Scolopendra species getting along in groups - maybe someone with experience in these will post.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
S. mutilans is well known for living in groups. Someone posted a few months ago that they had kept a pair of S. dehaani together safely in a large terrarium for a long period of time, which inspired me to set up an experiment with three S. dehaani sharing a large terrarium. Mine are still doing well a couple months into it, but I'd still consider it very experimental. (On a different occasion I put two S. dehaani together for breeding, but the female immediately chose lunch instead.) I've heard of other non-Scolopendra species getting along in groups - maybe someone with experience in these will post.
Please keep us updated! I'd love to have a few S. dehaani in the same enclosure.....

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please keep us updated! I'd love to have a few S. dehaani in the same enclosure.....
I'll post if it is successful for a year.

I should add to my previous comment that there are several species I've kept together for several days at a time. I have a tank set up for breeding - basically a 29 gallon terrarium with a screen divider in the middle. When I want to breed a pair I put one centipede on one side, one on the other, and let them get used to the cage for a couple days. Then I remove the divider. Some, such as my Scolopendra hainanum, start courting and mating pretty quickly. Others may spend a few days together in the cage before they finally mate or I give up waiting. I've had several pairs of S. heros stay together like this with no aggressive action. S. japonica too. And a pair of Malaysian Cherry Red S. dehaani. But I feed pairs heavily before putting them together and add a few crickets to the breeding cage "just in case".

Montgg

Arachnosquire
I'll post if it is successful for a year.

I should add to my previous comment that there are several species I've kept together for several days at a time. I have a tank set up for breeding - basically a 29 gallon terrarium with a screen divider in the middle. When I want to breed a pair I put one centipede on one side, one on the other, and let them get used to the cage for a couple days. Then I remove the divider. Some, such as my Scolopendra hainanum, start courting and mating pretty quickly. Others may spend a few days together in the cage before they finally mate or I give up waiting. I've had several pairs of S. heros stay together like this with no aggressive action. S. japonica too. And a pair of Malaysian Cherry Red S. dehaani. But I feed pairs heavily before putting them together and add a few crickets to the breeding cage "just in case".
Any update on the communal S.dehaani's ?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I had heard that S. polymorpha can be kept communally/together once before; this certainly lends weight to the truth of that statement.

And yes, I'd argue S. polymorpha to be one of the, if not the best beginner centipede. A lot of variety to choose from, and not just in colors.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No changes that I know of. The only way I can verify that all three are still doing well would be to dig them up, which I did about a month ago. But I prefer not to do that very often. I do see one on surface at night every once in a while, but can't tell one from another so if I see one each night for several nights I can't tell if it's the same one all the time or a different one each time. I suspect if one killed another I'd see remains on the surface.

One thing I've noticed is that when I have several centipedes sharing a cage they are less relaxed about hanging out on the surface. This is true of both the S. polymorpha and the S. dehaani. Might be that surface activity in general makes them more cautious.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I know that scutigera and geophilomorpha can live together.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All is going well so far. I often go for several days at a time not seeing activity in the cage (they are definitely late-night animals), and when I do see one out - it's just one centipede. Since they look pretty much alike I can't tell whether I'm seeing the same one over and over again, or different ones. But yesterday we had thunderstorms here and that seemed to bring everyone to the surface. I watched nervously as they crawled close to each other, then over each other. And they otherwise ignored each other. I didn't record the date that I started the experiment, but it's at least five months ago.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
S polymorpha is a great centipede for new and old keepers alike.