Scolopendra paradoxa

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
I might be getting a few of these in the near future, so I'm curious on if anyone outside of the Philippines has had success with them. The people who I've talked to have been very secretive of their care, including temps, humidity, and soil types used in their enclosures. Because I know there is a highland morph, I'm curious if the temps need to be similar to those of malaysian jewels, or if i can just keep them in my room at normal 70- 80 degree temps during the summer. I'm probably going to try and get 2 highland and 2 lowland, if that helps.

scolopender21

Arachnopeon
Be very careful, must be kept cold like Malaysian jewels with high humidity. I recommend a water dish large enough for it to fully submerge itself. I have seen a setup with a waterfall that was pretty cool, the select few people who have kept them are pretty secretive about how they cared for them. The Highland jewels are a little more hardy than the lowland ones, so you should probably experiment with different temps and see where they behave best. With substrate I would do two different sides: Hides and peat moss one one side (reccomend dark clay if you can get your hands on it), and a rocky wet side where it would have the oppertunity to "swim". You may not realize how important their aquatic behaviors are with their health because there is some strange way that they hydrate themselves while submerged. It would also be ineresting to offer some kind of aquatic prey (just an idea)

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
Be very careful, must be kept cold like Malaysian jewels with high humidity. I recommend a water dish large enough for it to fully submerge itself. I have seen a setup with a waterfall that was pretty cool, the select few people who have kept them are pretty secretive about how they cared for them. The Highland jewels are a little more hardy than the lowland ones, so you should probably experiment with different temps and see where they behave best. With substrate I would do two different sides: Hides and peat moss one one side (reccomend dark clay if you can get your hands on it), and a rocky wet side where it would have the oppertunity to "swim". You may not realize how important their aquatic behaviors are with their health because there is some strange way that they hydrate themselves while submerged. It would also be ineresting to offer some kind of aquatic prey (just an idea)
Thanks! I fully plan to give these guys more than enough room to swim and be underwater whenever they want. Additionally, I agree that it would be awesome to see about feeding with aquatic prey... (might try that). I have some really good soil that i got from a riverbed and it should work really well for them (from what i heard)