Scolopendra nuts (especially those in South America)

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does any one have any information on Scolopendra subspinipes fulgurans, or any images?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i thought there was five valid S. subspinipes subspecies and that is not one of them

check out steven's site
scolopendra.be
it might say there

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have already checked his site
Scolopendra subspinipes fulgurans
(Bücherl, 1946)
Type locality:
Brazil, Est. São Paulo, Sorocobana, Rubião Junior

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey,

I was also searching what keys differentiate Sc.subsp.fulgurans from the Sc.subsp.subspinipes,.. all i know that it's still a valid subspecie,

BUT,... Just today i've recieved this publication:

Bücherl W. "Novidades sistematicas na ordem Scolopendromorpha" Memórias do Instituto Butantan. 1946

It has some Spanish?/Portugeus? descriptions of the fulgurans subspec.
but also descriptions of the subspec. of Sc.viridicornis,... and other Brazilian scolopendrids.
Now only finding a way to get it translated :rolleyes:

SOAD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey steven can you send this paper to me? It's portuguese not spanish!

"systematic news on the order scolopendromorpha"

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It would be good if you could get digital copyof the paper even if it isn't in English, you'd be doing me a very big favour

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So...from Asia to Brazil? Am I missing something here? I mean...if I'm not, I think it's safe to assume rafting incidents but it's just...odd.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe a remnant of continental drift, i mean theres a subspinipes spec on the galapagos islands isn't there?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Waiting Steve's PM...
my bad, :8o
still have to digitise the document.

Gigus said:
i mean theres a subspinipes spec on the galapagos islands isn't there?
not sure about that :? , don't ya mean Sc.galapagoensis ?
that's another spec. ;)
Cheshire said:
So...from Asia to Brazil? Am I missing something here? I mean...if I'm not, I think it's safe to assume rafting incidents but it's just...odd.
I think the origin of Sc.subsp.subspinipes is South-Azia.
Africa, S-America, WestIndies and some islands of the Indian and Pacific Oceans are introductions (like ya said, prob. rafting incidents)

here's a distribution map i once made:
Sc.subsp.subspinipes

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are programs out there that you can scan text documents from paper and the program translates the characters to digital text instead of having to take up all that extra space with colored pixels from the paper between the text, etc. That maybe what your using, but just in case. I think that program could come in handy. It's also free on some websites but I can't remember the name of the free version. I think it was called "incar" or something like that. I would like to know the name of that program or one like it. Anybody know it?

I was messing around the house and I remembered what that program is called. It's called "wocar".

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i might be able to help with translating a little bit

i speak a tiny bit of spanish and even less portugeuse. rather, i understand a tiny bit of portu. i think i would be able to smooth out a digital translation a bit.

clockworkorange

Arachnopeon
This damn fulgurans is giving me a headache:wall: ... If you read a previous message i posted some time ago, i m working on Scolopendra subspinipes subspecies. I m doing the preliminary work for the moment. I worked out a few things but that fulgurans thinggy is a real misery...

The craddle of subspinipes seems to be East Asia. Obviously. That Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes has been observed in the Carabeans and in southern Florida, no problem, human transports can explain that. That it settled there, no problem. But a distinct subspecies of subspinipes on the Eastern coast of Brazil... I don't get it and it can't be explained by continental drift.

If I could put my hand on a fresh fulgurans, it would be my pleasure to take some DNA samples and run that to see if we are any close from a subspinipes from Asia. Unfortunately, it seems already difficult to get a picture of one... so a live specimen... I guess i can only dream about it.

We might actually face 2 cryptic species showing a high degree of similarities.

Anyhow, I may be able to help with the translation... i am more comfy with latin languages than with English.