Scolopendra morsitans cuteness overload

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't say enjoying, but he's certainly acclimated to handling, and won't envenomate under practically any circumstances.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Question is, how do you get to the point where you can figure out that you're 'pede is handleable and/or won't bite?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Question is, how do you get to the point where you can figure out that you're 'pede is handleable and/or won't bite?
Generally, it takes about five days (sometimes as little as one or two days for more docile individuals, and perhaps more than five for aggressive species) for them to become fully acclimated. Don't try full on handling in the first few sessions. Just have your hands in the enclosure with the pede and let it walk on and off your hand repeatedly. ALWAYS make sure it walks onto you by its own will; when they are out hunting at night, or drinking after a mist, is the perfect time to start. Once you can stroke their back you can consider your pede fully socialized, and it can be handled safely. (Don't try this with your Dehaani; there's nothing saying it won't work, but the consequences of making a mistake are extremely painful so I've heard).

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I heard the socialization process is that you feed them and while they're eating you let their antennae stroke your finger to smell you. Is that right?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Tbh I didn't do any feeding. I used the same tactics that Mastigoproctus used on his Malaysian tiger Subspinipes.