Scolopendra metuenda

Thearachnidaddict

Arachnosquire
I’ve had mine for about a month and I don’t remember the substrate I used but I think it was a mix of jungle mix are coir. Mist the enclosure every few days and I keep a water dish in mine though that is probably optional. Give it a hide of some sort however mine likes to hide in the sphagnum moss i put in its enclosure. They are very defensive and mine is very active at night. Make sure there is no possible way for the centipede to escape as centipedes are escape artists and will try to chew threw the plastic of the container. Mine seems to be pretty hardy.

Crom

Arachnosquire
Theyre from the Solomon Islands, and thought to be at least semi arboreal. Very little documentation on them. I suspect they eat birds, bird eggs, lizards, bats maybe. It would be nice to see some locality pictures. They have huge forcipules and tersus, and I have suspicions their venom is probably pretty nasty. Very defensive too, tho I have tong fed 1 specimen some cat food a few times

Thearachnidaddict

Arachnosquire
Mine never tries to climb anything so idk about it being semi arboreal but yeah a bite would be nasty.By far the most defrnsive pede ive kept. They seem to be mainly terrestrial mine never burrows instead it either hides under its cork bark or hides in the sphagnum moss

Last edited:

Crom

Arachnosquire
I've set up somewhat arboreal enclosures for mine and they tend to hang upside down on the underside of the the upturned cork. I speculate its more of a hunting behavior being semi arboreal, climbing trees, bushes and rock faces, possibly caves. Hard to say without seeing pics of the collection site. But they are very fast, slender and have some of the longest legs and terminals I've seen on a Scolopendra species. Most centipedes would spend their off time under a piece of wood or a burrow anyway, even if they have some semi arboreal or arboreal habits. It'll be interesting to observe them for a longer period of time either way, very unique species