Scolopendra metueda? New species?

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Can you link me a source? I can’t find too much about this species online

LVII. Descrij'tionofanewSpeciesofScolopendrafromtheSolomon Islands. By li. I, PocoCK,
Scolojjendra metuenda, sp. n.
Colour. The terga a deep olive-chestnut, head nearly black ;
anl ennte, legs, and sterna rather greener than the terga ; at the posterior end of the body tlie chestnut colour predominates on the somites.
JJead without sulci, finely punctured, a little wider than long.
Antennce long aud slender, composed of 19 or 20 long cylindrical segments, whereof the basal five are smooth, though puuetured, and the rest pubescent.
Maxillipedes fiuely punctured, the precoxal plates very short, Viut wide, w^ith convex distal edges, each furnished with upwards of a dozen or more small, in parts nearly obsolete, teeth, which present the appearance of having been worn away ; the femoral process simple, small, and curved back against the appendage.
Tergites. First without either longitudinal or transverse sulci
the rest the longitudinal sulci start upon the third and extend to the twentieth, but are everywhere faint (except upon the extreme anterior aud posterior edges of the terga), and almost die out in the ujiddle of the body ; a faint shallow median longitudinal furrow upon the terga. The lateral margin from the third to the twenty- first elevated.
Sternites smooth aud shining, weakly bisulcate.
Anal somite small ; tergite not mcsially sulcate, its width equal to the length of its lateral margin, but a little less than its median
;
on
page446image65100800
424 Miscellaneous.
length : plourn? dpiisoly porous, terminating in a blunt process, which is tipped with 4 or 5 small spines : sternite long and narrow, posteriorly attenuate, with truncate hinder edge, its basal width about two thirds of its length ; legs long and slender, nearly four times the length of the head, the segments cylindrical and about four times as long as wide ; femora armed with about 14 small spines, 3, 3, 2 in three longitudinal rows on the inner surface and 3, 3 in two rows on the external half of the lower surface ; the femoral process armed with from 4 to 10 small spines ; no tarsal spur, claws basally spurred.
The rest of the letj!^ long and slender, with a tarsal spur.
Measurements in millimetres.—Total length 103, of antenna 37, of anal leg 41 : width of head 10-5, length 10 : width of twelfth tergite 14, of twenty-first 8.
Loc. New Georgia (Solomon Islands).
A couple of specimens of this species were obtained by Commander Barker, R.X., of H.M.S. ' Penguin.' The second specimen is a little smaller than the type, be ng 145 millim. long, and much more uuitbrmly chestnut in colour.
lu its general features this handsome new species presents con- siderable resemblance to the cosmopolitan S. suhsjiini/ies of Leach, but may be at once recognized by the spine-armature of its anal legs, the former species having only two or three spines on the lower surface of the anal femora and only three or four on the inner surface. It also has but five or six teeth on the precoxal plates of the maxillipedes, whereas in S. metuenda there are a large number of minute more or less obsolete teeth on these plates. In this respect *S. metmnda would seem to approach S. polyodonta, Daday (Term,fiizetek, xvi. p. 109 pi. v. fig. 7 &c.), from New Guinea ; but the latter has the anal femora unarmed, as in the variety of S. de Haanii named inermis by Newport.

Crom

Arachnosquire
I just got 3 of them. Very interesting species. Remind me of a smaller dehaani, juveniles/sub adults are a nice greenish and burnt orange. Really long and thin terminals. Already a big fan of them

Attachments