Scolopendra madagascariensis

Jack68125

Arachnopeon
I just received 2 Scolopendra madagascariensis today and will post pics as I’d like to know if it could be another species (I trust the seller I just know there’s a lot of confusion with this species, I’m almost certain it’s not a subspinipes) 96A8C810-473A-4AB1-8B4C-B8744E2717CB.jpeg 934F0ACE-48C0-417B-B729-49EE3C29EDA7.jpeg F8AD60A1-DA71-44A0-9683-1582C0C9F2A8.jpeg

Attachments

kermitdsk

Arachnosquire
I have the same species, it's Scolopendra morsitans from mozambique.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Scolopendra madagascarensis is the hobby name for subspinipes or antananarivoensis. What you have is the latter.

kermitdsk

Arachnosquire
I wasn't thinking of S. antananarivoensis because of origin Mozambique, but maybe that's just wrong, I'll check that again. I already checked the species and it is definitely very similar to Scolopendra morsitans.

Celestus

Arachnopeon
I wasn't thinking of S. antananarivoensis because of origin Mozambique, but maybe that's just wrong, I'll check that again. I already checked the species and it is definitely very similar to Scolopendra morsitans.
You were right the first time. This is indeed the Mozambique S. morsitans. I also keep one of these.
Scolopendra madagascarensis is the hobby name for subspinipes or antananarivoensis. What you have is the latter.
This is not S. antananarivoensis, though it is similar. As far as S. madagascariensis, I concur, it is invalid to my knowledge, and in the hobby it is just S. s. subspinipes.

This is the second time I have seen one sold as the wrong species. It seems to me that a lot of vendors who sell centipedes know very little about them.

NYAN

Arachnoking
You were right the first time. This is indeed the Mozambique S. morsitans. I also keep one of these.

This is not S. antananarivoensis, though it is similar. As far as S. madagascariensis, I concur, it is invalid to my knowledge, and in the hobby it is just S. s. subspinipes.

This is the second time I have seen one sold as the wrong species. It seems to me that a lot of vendors who sell centipedes know very little about them.
What makes you think it’s morsitans? The two species are very closely related. You would need to examine them in greater detail I imagine. I admit that I could be wrong. I have antananarivoensis, and they look extremely similar.

You are correct about madagascariensis being subspinipes usually. It is supposedly a valid species, although it could be described improperly.

Jack68125

Arachnopeon
The only thing I can’t pinpoint on morsitans is the terminal legs. The terminal legs look to be different than any morsitans pics I’ve seen