scolopendra in the dinosaur age!?

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hello

does anyone know how big centipedes were about 70-100 million years ago, did they look very much like todays scolopendra spp.?

I know that centepides have been around a very long time, maybe 350 million years, but have they change ass little ass scorpions and mygalomorphe spiders!?

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would have to look it up again but I know there were some centipede or centipede like critters that were much much larger than todays pedes.... I remember some reports of 5 feet long and a foot wide....I believe there was an 8 foot specimen found in New Mexico also.....

edit: the pedes I was refering to are probably much older than your stated range in the cretaceous... sorry about that

Last edited:

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I took this picture at the Peabody Museum at Yale, the model is about four feet long if I recall correctly, some sort of ancient myriapod.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, that thing could eat my hybiscus :p. It would be interesting if we could see a fossil of the first chilopods... If anybody has seen any, it would be nice to compare it to the actual species...

phil.