scolopendra heros variations?

Babyish

Arachnopeon
Hello! I'm interested in the different variations of the species Scolopendra heros. I know of castaneiceps, and arizonensis, but I know there is more. For example I heard of "heros heros", and "heuco mountain morph". If someone could inform me on all the different types of Scolopendra heros, and where they're from. And maybe attach a resource? All of this will would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

edit: I've descended into madness. I put some questions. my brain doesn't comprehend this. apology's for being so brain dead. the fucking terminal leg thing I keep on going on about is, I heard the terminal legs are key identifying features along with the side body... you'll see what I'm talking about. Also tell me if there’s any other variations of hero’s that I don’t know of! i just need one brave person to try to explain, or link a resource.

Scolopendra heros arizonensis. Why does one have tiger stripes and the other does not? Why are they considered both arizonensis?! The same identifying features?!
1619749536355.png 1619749543132.png

Scolopendra heros castaneiceps. Why does one have a whiter terminal legs, and and oranger head?! And again do they have the same physical features, like the same features on their terminal legs? have I've been baited and this isn't a heros, reminds me of an Chinese red-headed centipede...
1619749549692.png 1619749554220.png

Scolopendra heros heros. Why isn’t this a arizonensis, they put one with stripes as arizonensis!? Just slight color difference, being lighter. Is the terminal legs different, like different spikes or forms?
1619749560474.png

Scolopendra heros hueco mountain, just found out some people call them Davis Mtn Banded. Where tf did this one come from?! Is it even a heros?
1619749565417.png

again sorry for being so dumb

Last edited:

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
ok so here are all the officially recorded forms and their ranges

Scolopendra heros - bold is general subspecies
  • Arizonensis
    • Madrean banded (Bonita, Az,
    • Madrean banded “dark (orange)” (southwest Pelloncillos Range to Pedragosa Range)
    • Reduced Madrean banded (superstition mountain range)
  • Heros
    • Blotched (Davis Mountains)
    • Orange blotched
    • Reduced blotched
  • Castineps
    • Castineps “orange”
    • Castineps “orange legged”
  • Aztecorum = S. heros "californianensis CF"
    • Light blue
    • Tons and tons of different mountain range vs coastal vs lowland (etc) color morphs, described via region, too many to list

Babyish

Arachnopeon
ok so here are all the officially recorded forms and their ranges

Scolopendra heros - bold is general subspecies
  • Arizonensis
    • Madrean banded (Bonita, Az,
    • Madrean banded “dark (orange)” (southwest Pelloncillos Range to Pedragosa Range)
    • Reduced Madrean banded (superstition mountain range)
  • Heros
    • Blotched (Davis Mountains)
    • Orange blotched
    • Reduced blotched
  • Castineps
    • Castineps “orange”
    • Castineps “orange legged”
  • Aztecorum= S. heros "californianensis CF"
    • Light blue
    • Tons and tons of different mountain range vs coastal vs lowland (etc) color morphs, described via region, too many to list
So there is 4 general types, and than the different forms? Is the blotched named "Scolopendra heros" or "Scolopendra heros heros" and are they only found in the Davis mountains? Surly they've been spotted in more of Texas, or in neighboring states. Same thing goes with arizonensis, they could be found outside of Arizona right? And I don't think you put the range for, castaneiceps, and aztecorum. does that mean they're all over the south western untied states. One last question, what separates the different types?(I don't know if I should call them species or sub species) Is it physicals features, where they're located, colors, mutations? I thank you for your help, I'm truly clueless.

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
The same identifying features?!
so if theyre caled the same, its because whatever is being used to determine the subspecies is identical between the two.

Why does one have a whiter terminal legs, and and oranger head?!
Just different color forms, or possibly recent molt.

Why isn’t this a arizonensis, they put one with stripes as arizonensis!?
Difference in whatever they use to determine subspecies. This one produces blotched coloration, whereas the arizonensis has banded. Again, the striped variant is just a color morph, has the same indicators on their bodies

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
So there is 4 general types, and than the different forms? Is the blotched named "Scolopendra heros" or "Scolopendra heros heros" and are they only found in the Davis mountains? Surly they've been spotted in more of Texas, or in neighboring states. Same thing goes with arizonensis, they could be found outside of Arizona right? And I don't think you put the range for, castaneiceps, and aztecorum. does that mean they're all over the south western untied states. One last question, what separates the different types?(I don't know if I should call them species or sub species) Is it physicals features, where they're located, colors, mutations? I thank you for your help, I'm truly clueless.
As for ranges, those are where I have seen them found on these forums, if you want a true scope youre best off searching the general "scolopendra heros" on inaturalist and going through the photos. The ranges that were discussed on the forums are their most common areas, but they are not limited to them. I didnt put the ranges for castaneiceps or aztecorum because the castaneiceps wasnt discussed, and aztecorum has not been truly classified as heros, only speculated to be such, as its body features greatly resemble that of heros. Castaneiceps is found mainly in texas, and aztecorum is South California (I think). Again, iNaturalist is your best bet for determining the ranges. Im not too certain what separates the types (I call them subspecies because they are all part of the main species Scolopendra heros, but each have their own defining features), but I know sometimes the spines between terminal legs are used, so that might be it.

Babyish

Arachnopeon
As for ranges, those are where I have seen them found on these forums, if you want a true scope youre best off searching the general "scolopendra heros" on inaturalist and going through the photos. The ranges that were discussed on the forums are their most common areas, but they are not limited to them. I didnt put the ranges for castaneiceps or aztecorum because the castaneiceps wasnt discussed, and aztecorum has not been truly classified as heros, only speculated to be such, as its body features greatly resemble that of heros. Castaneiceps is found mainly in texas, and aztecorum is South California (I think). Again, iNaturalist is your best bet for determining the ranges. Im not too certain what separates the types (I call them subspecies because they are all part of the main species Scolopendra heros, but each have their own defining features), but I know sometimes the spines between terminal legs are used, so that might be it.
Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it. Final question what months do I have the best chance of finding a heros. I go to this place in west Texas a few times a year, and I always search for centipedes. What would be the best month to do it in. I thought if its cold, they'll go deep underground to keep warm, and if its too hot they'll hide in another unreachable place to keep cool. what is the best time of year? does it even matter?

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
I think, and mind you ive only been south once, the best time is around august and september, or monsoon season.

Crom

Arachnosquire
Aztecorum is definitely not heros. Ive had several, much different than heros, particularly their longer terminals from what ive noticed. Babys are BRIGHT aqua blue. Also one of the most flighty and fast centipedes I own.

And as far as I'm aware, all heros are CF. I've heard its possible the blotched specimens are an actual subspecies or seperate even, but im not aware of any taxonomic work done on them specifically. But, people have crossed the different morph/locality varieties with some success and natural hybrids do exist. I would not recommend attempting to hybridized tho, obviously.

Last edited:

Crom

Arachnosquire
Yes, blotched are generally only found in the Davis Mountains area, but id imagine there may be some similar in Big Bend and down into Mexico.

Aztecorum are found only in Southern California and Baja. There's supposedly a northern form in Northern California, but the ones I've seen just look like really light aqua polymorpha, maybe a species of their own.

Last edited: