Scolopendra heros Var. Need identification!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
So some of you may have seen my Scolopendra heros castaneiceps that I found the other day, well this morning on the ceiling was another Scolopendra heros but a different variety a banded variety that I didn’t think existed in this part of Texas it’s a pedeling about 2.5-3in long so could I be looking at a different locale? It was 20ft up on a celining, hope it makes it cause in order to get there it had to walk through pesticides. I gave it water and it quickly went to town drinking it up before I put it in a Tupperware with peatmoss that it happily burrowed in. I saw the spot on the ceiling yesterday but it wasn’t until this morning that I realized it was a centipede that had been there for at least 24hrs. It looks different than S. heros var. heros and it looks different that some the banded S. heros arizonensis (sp).

FB4E0FA7-1632-4DF1-9C3A-362968A07163.jpeg A6AB3A7E-B3CA-4BEA-9817-04DF353931C9.jpeg

Location is Spring Branch, Tx. Komal Co.

Babyish

Arachnopeon
How do you know its a heros, instead of a polymorpha? It has the same color and pattern, and the terminal legs are more stubby, unlike the heros. I've found quite a few polymorpha in Texas, so far it checks out.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
looks like a polymorpha to me
How do you know its a heros, instead of a polymorpha? It has the same color and pattern, and the terminal legs are more stubby, unlike the heros. I've found quite a few polymorpha in Texas, so far it checks out.
Oh wow I didn’t even think about polymorpha. I’m not well versed in myriapods, I didn’t know it could be that, I just saw a red head and thought maybe it was a heros

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
100% Scolopendra polymorpha.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Okay great thank you so much, So I guess that means I gotta switch it to dry substrate then. If you keep them do you keep them completely bone dry, this little one seemed dehydrated and drank water for five minutes so I decided to put it on moist substrate incase it was partially desiccating. Do you think it would be okay to leave it on moist substrate till tonight when I get home or tomorrow, or should it be switched over to dry immediately?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I've always kept mine on moist substrate, though as of late I have been hearing much more experienced people say to keep them on a drier sand-gravel mix. Or in other words, it should be fine short-term, but be prepared to switch it.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I've always kept mine on moist substrate, though as of late I have been hearing much more experienced people say to keep them on a drier sand-gravel mix. Or in other words, it should be fine short-term, but be prepared to switch it.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Okay, thanks! I ordered in some of that excavator clay I could use for it and make a desert mix up. I gave the S. heros half moist and half dry and at first it burrowed in the dry and then switched and is burrowed on the mosit side, I presume I could always keep a corned a little more moist for the polymorpha while it is recovering. It likely had contact with pesticides based on where I found it, so I am hoping it will recover.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@Arthroverts hey by any chance would you have a link for Shelley R.M. (2002-) The centipede order Scolopendromorpha in North America. Bug guide listed this but I get 404 err. And I also get 404err for all of the distribution maps. Ill take any papers you may have on Scolopendromorpha or and Chilopoda papers you think are worth a read.

Thanks, Connor.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
polymorpha
Thanks!! I really didn’t know they are in this part of Texas it’s not totally arid here and where it was found has a lot of grass and soil with moisture. Interesting to me.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Arthroverts hey by any chance would you have a link for Shelley R.M. (2002-) The centipede order Scolopendromorpha in North America. Bug guide listed this but I get 404 err. And I also get 404err for all of the distribution maps. Ill take any papers you may have on Scolopendromorpha or and Chilopoda papers you think are worth a read.

Thanks, Connor.
I looked around and tried to access the site where you could directly buy it but it's broken. I haven't found any other way to get it as of yet unfortunately.

Otherwise let me take a look at what I have downloaded. Aside from myself, you might ask @BobBarley, @Andrew101, or @NYAN for pertinent scientific literature as they are all much more knowledgeable than I.

Thanks!! I really didn’t know they are in this part of Texas it’s not totally arid here and where it was found has a lot of grass and soil with moisture. Interesting to me.
I will say that S. polymorpha and centipedes in general come out during periods of greater moisture availability; I've only ever found polymorpha in moist areas after it has rained.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I will say that S. polymorpha and centipedes in general come out during periods of greater moisture availability; I've only ever found polymorpha in moist areas after it has rained.
Yeah this is what I was thinking, we got a lot of rain after not having any for over a month maybe more and like wham soooo much invertebrate life has come out in the last week!
I looked around and tried to access the site where you could directly buy it but it's broken. I haven't found any other way to get it as of yet unfortunately.

Otherwise let me take a look at what I have downloaded. Aside from myself, you might ask @BobBarley, @Andrew101, or @NYAN for pertinent scientific literature as they are all much more knowledgeable than I.
Okay yeah I tried to do the same thing you did and hit the same walls!! Somehow I’ll read it!!

Okay great thank you!! Hopefully they will pop in! I don’t know maybe your not as big in Chilopoda but I know you are quite the Diplopoda guy!! I saw your list of what you have kept and was quite impressed!!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Indeed. I also live in a desert and it's always amazing to see how things respond to the rains. Unfortunately my area is in for a horrible drought after a paltry rainy season.

Anywho, I am trying to learn more about Chilopoda slowly but surely. They're more complex breeding behaviors is the biggest turn-off for me, but they are still marvellous creatures. Ostigmus scaber remains a favorite species of mine that I'm hoping some Hawaiian enthusiasts will send to us soon enough, ha ha.
You probably saw the list of Diplopoda species I was compiling for record's and permitting's sake, as I have only kept around a dozen species. Someday maybe I will have kept them all, ha ha.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Indeed. I also live in a desert and it's always amazing to see how things respond to the rains. Unfortunately my area is in for a horrible drought after a paltry rainy season.
Yeah it has been quite incredible!! A bunch of Phasmids have been coming out as well, which has filled me with joy, back and forth favorite hexapoda order got the chance to hand feed some the other day!
Anywho, I am trying to learn more about Chilopoda slowly but surely. They're more complex breeding behaviors is the biggest turn-off for me, but they are still marvellous creatures. Ostigmus scaber remains a favorite species of mine that I'm hoping some Hawaiian enthusiasts will send to us soon enough, ha ha.
You probably saw the list of Diplopoda species I was compiling for record's and permitting's sake, as I have only kept around a dozen species. Someday maybe I will have kept them all, ha ha.
Yeah I had heard they ate more of a challenge in that respect!!

And wow look at that soecies!! The terminals are incredible! I’d love to know what that adaptation was for! Had t heard of this species, or genus for that matter, thanks!!

Oh and yeah that’s what I saw, I guess I didn’t quite read it thorough enough, thought you had kept all those species! Well here’s to hoping for your sake you will get the chance one and someday!!