Scolopendra heros growth rates

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The first pic is of plings that just left the mom in the last few days. The last two pics are of Scolopenda heros pedes that are one year older than the ones in the first pic. Obviously, one has grown much bigger than the other. I have 40+ plings from last year. There is every size in between these two extremes. Allot of genetics going on here more than diet. I've offered food equally. I feel like I'm seeing aggressive hunting extremes between all of them too which would also contribute to size I would guess. Some go nuts like a mad man if they think food is in their container, others seem pretty scared and cautiously check out the potential prey first.

Last edited:

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
beautiful!

super looking pedes.:worship:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Great pics, Galapoheros. The stuff you're doing with centipedes is really helping us to understand more about their biology.

I'm still wanting to know if gender has some effect on growth.

There has to be some basic difference, whether it's subtle (thinner bodies, longer legs) or durastic (growth rate, more active males).

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good job, Galapo, seems like all those pedelings must be keeping you pretty busy :). Have fun!!!!

phil.

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awesome babies! I love watching the feeding responses of the fiesty little ones :)

Tony92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Absouloutely gorgeous looking pedes, I would love to get some of this species, but they never seem to become available here in Europe anyway, strange, the really hard to get stuff such as giganteas etc are available quite often, but S heros not so much..........................Tony