Scolopendra heros arizonensis

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lol, Dude, you really are never gonna grow up. I don't think I'm that brave to try that. Nice pede by the way...I miss the solid colored guy V used to have. V down to one striped left.

W. Smith

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Neither. It's this I don't agree with:

"but you're still likely to get a good bite"

Likely? I very rarely get bitten by my pedes while handling. How is that "likely"? Explain please.
Your on one....;)
Arizonensis are prone to biting. I know of 4 occurances offhand between 4 owners.....seems rational to me. Two of them are longterm members with documentaion.....;P

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Live forever until you die! "W" I hope you and V at least got a pic of that solid one. If you did, send it to me, I want to see it. I have one banded too. I have 3 other az with the black heads but I think they are all males:wall: . A little too early to tell though. You only have one left?, I'm scared to send anything over there lol.

Last edited:

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
S.heros are easier to handle than a healthy S. subspinipes but you're still likely to get a good bite unless you're one of the lucky people who can handle pedes without getting bitten.

That's a lousy piece of false information.
Hey, I just found this, not sure if it's 100% accurate though:

"In addition to venom, some species exude defensive substances from glands found along the body segments. These secretions are usually nontoxic to humans, although at least one species of the genus Otostigmus secretes a vesicating substance."

From: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/769448-overview

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You only have one left?, I'm scared to send anything over there lol.
Lol, yeah, just one S.h.a. We still have all the S.h.h. Even the monster, we are gonna have to pair the male you sent us with her again. She dropped some eggs just prior to IKE (I think) and she ate them. I'm sure V has a pic somewhere of the S.h.a.

W. Smith

clockworkorange

Arachnopeon
Hey, I just found this, not sure if it's 100% accurate though:

"In addition to venom, some species exude defensive substances from glands found along the body segments. These secretions are usually nontoxic to humans, although at least one species of the genus Otostigmus secretes a vesicating substance."

From: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/769448-overview
Hey Phark,

some species can exude Hydrogene cyanide from small glands located on most body parts (tergites/sternites/legs). This system has been described in Asanada, Pachymerium, Geophilus and Strigamia.

Lewis (1981) didn't provide much details about it but the following paper is quite straight forward and an easy read:

Mascwitz, U., Lauschke, U. and Wurmli, M. (1979) Hydrogen cyanide-producing glands in a scolopender, Asanada N.SP. (CHILOPODA, SCOLOPENDRIDAE). Journal of Chemical Ecology. 5, 6:901-907.

Cheers

Mika

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's a crazy Sc h arizonensis(I need a life!). I don't have him set up very well yet, I'll get there. He's pretty nutty, watch. OK, no more pede harassment. I don't think I'll ever grow up at this point.
LOL!!! That's crazy! Great vid Mr. 'heros! I'm going to have to try that with my heros heros sometime... j/k :)

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've noticed a curious behavior in my heros that I've yet to observe in any other species I've kept. When startled or agitated, it will vibrate it's terminals side to side very quickly (sort of like a rattlesnake). Has anyone noticed that in any other species or color-morph?

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL!!! That's crazy! Great vid Mr. 'heros! I'm going to have to try that with my heros heros sometime... j/k :)

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've noticed a curious behavior in my heros that I've yet to observe in any other species I've kept. When startled or agitated, it will vibrate it's terminals side to side very quickly (sort of like a rattlesnake). Has anyone noticed that in any other species or color-morph?
If you make a feather tail (Alipes sp.) frightened it makes a sound similar to a rattlesnake's tail with its terminals. I have a 4"er that can "rattle" pretty loud. As for venom being involved, it has done this even while I handled it with no weird effects. Also I have never had problems like that after handling any of my S. Heros varients.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi, yeah I think all the heros tend to do that sometimes, esp. the babies when they get startled, or when they catch some food. I rarely see adults do that though except when they come in contact with each other. When adults come in contact with each other (without attacking each other), one will tap on the others terminals and the other will start shaking it's terminals, it looks like some kind of communication. If it's a male being tapped on, he will really start shaking his terminals the longer she taps on them. Then he will start walking and she follows him. I took a stiff out of the fridge and got one to do it a little. I also wonder if it's a decoy to help it escape or even catch prey, who knows...

Last edited:

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Galapoheros, i love how your using that "stiff"....thats the best thing i've seen in a while..it made me laugh out loud.{D

thanks

moose

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
does this work using other objects like a pen for example? OR objects that have been for a while in a pedes enclosure to get a scent or something?
Maybe its reflex move?

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I took a stiff out of the fridge and got one to do it a little. I also wonder if it's a decoy to help it escape or even catch prey, who knows...
:clap: OMG that video is just so funny, especially the way you just brought it in from the top - I just wasn't expecting that :D

I did think I was on necroboards for a second though... :D

And one of these days we should do a board-wide survey as to exactly who has what in their freezer... me? I've got an arizonensis... :rolleyes:

EDIT: holy cow! I'm just looking through your (amazing!) photobucket library and you've got an arizonesis doing that as well... with another frozen 'pede!

Last edited: