Scolopendra heros arizonensis

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No dictionary needed, Gavin. Leave E and A alone...

Likely, probably, more than possible. Thats all hes saying.

Ditch the mutilans and get a 9" subspinipes pede, then post handling pics.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No dictionary needed, Gavin. Leave E and A alone...

Likely, probably, more than possible. Thats all hes saying.

Ditch the mutilans and get a 9" subspinipes pede, then post handling pics.
Oh no, sorry, I don't leave particular people alone; if I don't agree with his/her opinion, I voice mine. That's me.

If you would mail me a Sc. subspinipes - or any large species, for that matter - I certainly would post handling pics. Otherwise, I hope you understand that I cannot purchase any centipedes, apart from mutilans, legally over here.

By the way, I am serious about the mailing; I have Malayan vinegaroons (Thelyphonus sp.), if you're interested in doing a trade.

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
again a matter of luck, some people may rarely get bitten and some may get bitten every time. (and thats why they dont do it anymore).

In any case someone WILL get bitten at a point and thats neither pleasant or good. If certain people like playing with chances please do, but dont advertise that pedes are calm and nice.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
dont advertise that pedes are calm and nice.
Perhaps you (mis-) interpreted my posts as such, but I never said centipedes were calm and docile. I merely disagreed with E&A's opinion that centipedes are always "likely to bite", which has NOT been the case in my experience.

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah maybe, but still if i say i fell of a cliff and didnt die(in my case i didnt :p), someone else might try it right? (thats what i meant by advertise)

hehe

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah maybe, but still if i say i fell of a cliff and didnt die(in my case i didnt :p), someone else might try it right? (thats what i meant by advertise)

hehe
Your analogy is flawed. Sane people know that jumping off a cliff is suicidal, and hence will NOT try it, no matter how much you try to "advertise" the act.

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
bleh.. :eek:

find something similar then.. like rear fanged snakes, or jumping in front of trains(as many do)
a bad adv is still an ad
and please dont try to make logic arguments when it comes to handling pedes..
Kids may wanna try it

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
a bad adv is still an ad
and please dont try to make logic arguments when it comes to handling pedes..
Kids may wanna try it
Once again, when and where did I "advertise" anything about handling centipedes? I expressed my opinion, which was that centipedes are NOT always "likely to bite", contrary to what E&A said. I meant that, yes, centipedes DO and CAN bite, but they are not always "likely to bite". There is a clear distinction between being able to bite and being LIKELY to bite. Do you understand?

Of course, if someone comes along and decides to miscontrue what I said, that is not a concern of mine, because I believe everyone has some discretion of his/her own.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I expressed my opinion, which was that centipedes are NOT always "likely to bite", contrary to what E&A said.
How can you have such a strong opinion about something you say you've never even kept? All centipedes are not identical, the topic is S. heros. You ought to preface your statement with "I've never actually kept S. heros, I've only handled a much smaller more docile type, but without experience I think..."

I don't know of anyone who handles large pedes who hasn't been bitten (including yourself with your little species) therefore if you handle them your chances of getting bitten at some point is realistically 100%.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How can you have such a strong opinion about something you say you've never even kept? All centipedes are not identical, the topic is S. heros. You ought to preface your statement with "I've never actually kept S. heros, I've only handled a much smaller more docile type, but without experience I think..."

I don't know of anyone who handles large pedes who hasn't been bitten (including yourself with your little species) therefore if you handle them your chances of getting bitten at some point is realistically 100%.
I have to agree with pretty much everything here - except for the statement that Sc. subspinipes mutilans is "a much smaller more docile type". "Docile"?? Have you kept this species before? What kind of reception do you get when you open the enclosure? This is an aggressive species, no doubt. Calling it a "docile" species is laughable. Being a subspecies of Sc. subspinipes, it is definitely at least as aggressive, if not more, than Sc. heros.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, I have had a few of them. They usually don't even bite each other.
I think they don't bite each other simply because they are a communal species. But they are undoubtedly nervous and aggressive. Maybe I'll put up a video to prove this.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unless you own a S. Heros you can't really say that..
True. It was simply an opinion of mine based on the fact that subspinipes centipedes are aggressive. Considering the other fact that mutilans is a subspecies of subspinipes, I would naturally expect it to be similar in temperament.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are De Haani's out there that will tolerate you more than some S. Polymorpha's, depends on their individual temperment.

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There are De Haani's out there that will tolerate you more than some S. Polymorpha's, depends on their individual temperment.
Agreed....I have kept mutilans(two yellow and one red),and out of the three only one was aggressive/nervous.Compared to my 6 heros,they are docile.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here's a crazy Sc h arizonensis(I need a life!). I don't have him set up very well yet, I'll get there. He's pretty nutty, watch. OK, no more pede harassment. I don't think I'll ever grow up at this point.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a crazy Sc h arizonensis(I need a life!). I don't have him set up very well yet, I'll get there. He's pretty nutty, watch. OK, no more pede harassment. I don't think I'll ever grow up at this point.
Looks just like my Thai De Haani, she tries attacking air, anything, ext.. Thats a pretty mean looking S. Heros though, it wants a peice of your finger{D

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LMAO Todd!!Your pushing it!!!He almost had you at 11 second's.

That was too cool.....Although I dont recommend it!

Going back for my third view...I just find it funny for some reason