Scolopendra hardwickei

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, it is not. Not more than in tarantulas.
Same thing - if you have a couple and nothing happens for whatever reason, then you have the same situation in the end.

It's simply the masses keeping tarantulas, compared to the "limited fanbase" of pedes, as you state correctly.

Cheers
Turgut
This is provided there is some good method in sexing centipedes and you already know that you have a female and a male. Unless you or anyone has found an effective way of getting them to expose their sexual organs without harm or without the trouble of using a CO2 setup, sexing hasn't been perfected yet, not like it has for tarantulas and scorpions, which display high degrees of sexual dimorphism.

To word it differently, mating a female and male centipede isn't anymore difficult than mating a female and male tarantula or scorpion, but sexing is, and it's the first step of breeding.

Last edited:

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

- Klingel has used this method in past, published already a paper and bred S. cingulata in several generations. So - this is nothing new.
- My hardwickei had a succesful clutch of 61 healthy juveniles after using this method and then mating
- My viridis is actually on eggs, sexed by the same method and therefore a focussed mating wihtout experiments.
- My mutilans had a succesful clutch, after being sexed by the same method, mating see above.
- And there are several mated centipedes that simply wait for their right season to have clutches, being sexed and mated with the same method, showing no unusual behaviour, eating, running, acting like if they have never been gassed.

And gassing is even an ordinary method for venomous spiders to enable taxonomical inspections on living specimen.
I have never heard of a harming tendency, to be honest.

Hence - everything is working well.
And unless I see a mass mortality one day, this method works fine for me.

You can't expose the sexual organs of a centipede whenever you want to.

Cheers
Turgut

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
- Klingel has used this method in past, published already a paper and bred S. cingulata in several generations. So - this is nothing new.
Which method? Gassing? If that paper is available in PDF form, I'd love to read it. The only reproduction I've had with centipedes so far has been accidental, and I'd like to try breeding a couple kinds.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

paper is unfortunately in german language, but if you like to have it nevertheless, PM me.

Cheers
Turgut

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can struggle through German, and the practice would be good for me. I'll PM you.

Bill

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow what a beautiful pede, Ive always wanted one of those.. could never find one here in the Us for a good price. Ive been putting to much time and effort into my car lately to buy myself anything nice.. Very pretty though. Congrats on having one of if not the best looking creatures on the planet.:clap:

Chris

mrridinhigh

Arachnopeon
Man... I have been trying to find that black and orange pede for a while now. I cant find ANYONE who has one F.S. At this point I wouldnt care how much they cost !:worship:

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Someone has p'lings up for sale at a cool grand a piece... I'll note that they're a brand new user with no other posts, so picking up in person is probably best.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If they were established here I think I'd sell adults for around $80 to $90. I've had a hard time and bad luck getting my hands on a mating pair here in the US. Jason is still trying as far as I know.