Scolopendra hardwickei - pictures and video

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
None of us gets tired of looking at this gorgeous centipede, I don't think? I sure don't, so here we go...

[YOUTUBE]AL3ptmKcwgQ[/YOUTUBE]

Too bad the pedelings weren't fully colored up when I took this:

Mum:

What an absolutely stunning work of art.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice pics, Gavin. Just out of curiousity, are those pics from your first clutch or is this a new one? :)

Athelas

Arachnopeon
So where can I get like 5 of these???
These are absolutely beautiful! I too would appreciate recommendations people have for purchasing some of these. The maternal behavior alone would be fascinating to study.

Scott
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interested in animal behavior? Visit The Birds and the Bees: Things you were
afraid to ask about the secret lives of animals. http://bird-n-bee.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Faaaake, lol, I'll never forget those old "fake" posts. So did you keep any plings for raising and breeding? I've heard of some people claiming the plings look hardy and healthy but later have unexplained deaths.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Faaaake, lol, I'll never forget those old "fake" posts. So did you keep any plings for raising and breeding? I've heard of some people claiming the plings look hardy and healthy but later have unexplained deaths.
All 5 I have had from that clutch are still alive.
In fact, they seem to be the most hardy and fast growing species I have.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice pics, Gavin. Just out of curiousity, are those pics from your first clutch or is this a new one? :)
They are from the original clutch lol, I just thought I'd put these pics out there again because seriously who ever gets tired of looking at this species? :)

I didn't, sold them all, and kinda regret it now. I haven't had any reports of premature deaths from anyone who bought the plings from me, and the mother is doing great too.

On another note, my adult female S. heros arizonensis, mated in November last year, is showing umistakeable signs of being gravid and I'm almost certain she will lay eggs within a week. She has sealed herself off in an underground chamber, and she molted 3 months ago so this can't be a molt (and we all know pedes store sperm through molts). Fingers crossed, it does seem a tad early though, being only February.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All 5 I have had from that clutch are still alive.
In fact, they seem to be the most hardy and fast growing species I have.
I meant 4, not 5!

They are from the original clutch lol, I just thought I'd put these pics out there again because seriously who ever gets tired of looking at this species? :)

I didn't, sold them all, and kinda regret it now. I haven't had any reports of premature deaths from anyone who bought the plings from me, and the mother is doing great too.

On another note, my adult female S. heros arizonensis, mated in November last year, is showing umistakeable signs of being gravid and I'm almost certain she will lay eggs within a week. She has sealed herself off in an underground chamber, and she molted 3 months ago so this can't be a molt (and we all know pedes store sperm through molts). Fingers crossed, it does seem a tad early though, being only February.
Can't wait...:D

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great shots, as always!

If you end up getting any plings, let me know, I would love to finaly get some arizonensis!

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good luck with the arizonesis, it does seem a little early but who knows(?)
I have heard that for S. heros to do well in captivity they need a hibernation period around winter time, but over here it's tropical temps year round and I wasn't able to simulate winter conditions for her. I've had people tell me they had heros heros and heros arizonensis - seemingly healthy specimens - suddenly die when they did not have the opportunity to hibernate. Have you seen or heard anything like this?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have heard that for S. heros to do well in captivity they need a hibernation period around winter time, but over here it's tropical temps year round and I wasn't able to simulate winter conditions for her. I've had people tell me they had heros heros and heros arizonensis - seemingly healthy specimens - suddenly die when they did not have the opportunity to hibernate. Have you seen or heard anything like this?

I'm not absolutely sure about it, I do cool mine down though because it's a natural occurrence in their native range. Even far south from Texas into Mexico it cools off a bit. ime, heros can be a little challenging, some young healthy individuals kick the bucket and leave me scratching my head, then right next door is another individual, same age, healthy, and might live for several years. I have a couple of CB heros I kept from around 2006, they are still doing great. I've noticed that if the room is in the high 60's, it's enough for them to stay under for months. They(8) are still under right now, they went under sometime in October. But I have a male that I see out about once every 3 weeks, don't know why. I don't expect him to last much longer.