Scolopendra hardwickei clutch photojournal

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unfortunately the photos here are (and will be) horrible, because I am not going to risk upsetting the mother and potentially cause her to eat her young just for some decent photos.

Some environmental trivia:

room temperature - averages 30 degrees Celsius in the day; 26-28 degrees C at night

humidity - ambient relative humidity averages 70% on a RAINLESS day; gets to 100% when it rains; humidity within the enclosure is almost certainly slightly higher - probably around 80%

Photos:

Day 1:

Day 5:

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hardwickei..... Drool....
Congrats Gavin!
One of the loveliest species by far.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Day 19. If you look closely you will see that the eggs have turned into macaroni...

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I can't see protonymphs in that picture even with my imagination but I believe you. I wonder if we'll end up with some of these babies...

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just a little update: the protonymphs are molting into 1st instar pedelings (nymphs) as I type this. :drool:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
WOW! Congrats Gavin! way to go. Now if only you could legally send me for 1 dollar! haha;P

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Looks like the paint is starting rub off again:rolleyes:

Nice tennis ball 'o plings you have there:clap:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah not much color yet, maybe they are afraid they are going to get eaten:eek:...:barf:, sorry, bad joke, one more and the classic color. I think the color makes them look even bigger.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks like the paint is starting rub off again:rolleyes:
Yeh, it's annoying isn't it? A full black tergite looks so much better...

Yeah not much color yet, maybe they are afraid they are going to get eaten:eek:...:barf:, sorry, bad joke, one more and the classic color. I think the color makes them look even bigger.
Hehe yeah, they will be even bigger after they molt. They are definitely bigger than the pedelings my 7.5" S. alternans female produced.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeh, it's annoying isn't it? A full black tergite looks so much better...

Hehe yeah, they will be even bigger after they molt. They are definitely bigger than the pedelings my 7.5" S. alternans female produced.
Can't.... Wait....!!!!

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
03/10/2010 - 2nd instars; they will leave their mother within the next few days:

Last edited: