Scolopendra gigantea white legs

ArachnoChino

Arachnopeon
What’s up guys? Recently got me one of these. He’s 8” or so. I’m keeping him dry and roughly 76F with a water bowl. Slightly humid on one side of the enclosure.

Is there anything else I need to know about these? Not much infos about them online.

How’s their growth rate?
Life span?

Any other infos welcome! Doesn’t hurt to know more. Thanks all.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's an awfully expensive pet to get if you don't know much about them...

Gorgeous centipedes - but the price tag is a bit rich for my blood. I'd be afraid of losing my investment if I messed up the husbandry.

Good luck!

ArachnoChino

Arachnopeon
That's an awfully expensive pet to get if you don't know much about them...

Gorgeous centipedes - but the price tag is a bit rich for my blood. I'd be afraid of losing my investment if I messed up the husbandry.

Good luck!
I’ve talked to many people about them for a couple of months but like I said, it does not hurt to know more. I’m just listing the basic care and hoping to hear some more about them from others. Thanks man

ArachnoChino

Arachnopeon
I’ve talked to many people about them for a couple of months but like I said, it does not hurt to know more. I’m just listing the basic care and hoping to hear some more about them from others. Thanks man
Couple of months before getting them***

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@NYAN, @RTTB, @Salvador, and @CHLee might be able to shed some more light on these fascinating centipedes.

If I had that much money to drop on a single centipede I'd probably get one too, ha ha (if the rest of my centipede list was empty, that is), but I agree with @chanda; a bit rich for my blood right now.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

NYAN

Arachnoking
What’s up guys? Recently got me one of these. He’s 8” or so. I’m keeping him dry and roughly 76F with a water bowl. Slightly humid on one side of the enclosure.

Is there anything else I need to know about these? Not much infos about them online.

How’s their growth rate?
Life span?

Post a picture of the enclosure. It sounds like what you are doing is fine. The growth rate is fairly fast. The full lifespan of most centipedes isn’t very well documented, but I imagine you’ll get another couple years out of it. What other info do you want?

RTTB

Arachnoprince
It never hurts to have deep substrate. For some reason the “galapagoensis” I had preferred staying out in the open but some of the SA giants will dig deep.

Pinchednerve

Arachnosquire
I recently picked up a pair of white legs as well, I have about 4-5 inches of substrate and some magnolia leaves, cork bark and a small water dish. I'm keeping mine on the dry side with good ventilation. I'm keeping them at room temp 72-74* I hear at cooler temps feeding should be light to allow for slower digestion at lower temps . I'm not an expert but this is what I have gathered reading posts here on Arachnoboards... maybe some of the more experienced keepers can chime in with some detailed info to help us newbies out. I've heard the comment about do your research before you buy such an expensive animal, I did as much reading and trying to extract info from the forums that was I physically able to do at some point you just have to try it for yourself. good luck with your new centipede ....these are incredible animals to work with

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I've kept these for a while, I know of a fairly big seemingly old individual living over 3 years since import and still kicking. I keep them pretty dry with a corner I moisten, a hide, water dish and good ventilation. I also don't use coco coir as substrate anymore due to reports of it being hazardous to pedes, though I formerly used it for a while. I prefer a mix of more finely particulate soil, I just use a really spent compost mix that has had most of the nutrients scrubbed out of it by some beetle grubs and microfauna over years. Holds a shape nicely and no mold or anything, pretty similar to the consistency of soil you'd find in say a broadleaf forest or such.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Ive have two Ive raised from small juveniles, and multiple other SA giants....all very easy as far as husbandry. Very tolerant, and all of mine are pretty active. Ive tired many setups and they seem to like just a dry sub with a water dish, not much else too it really. The only time mine get more humidity is when i overflow the dish once a week, so the sub on that side is moist down to about 5".

Raptorr

Arachnosquire

How’s their growth rate?
Life span?

How's it doing?

Taffy

Arachnoknight

How’s their growth rate?
Life span?

don’t keep any side humid. only have a water bowl. nothing else. growth rate is pretty fast when they are pedelings. life span is around 5-8 years.