1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Scolopendra gigantea white legs

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by KOn Le, Jan 11, 2020.

1. KOn Le

KOn Le Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    What’s up guys? Recently got me one of these. He’s 8” or so. I’m keeping him dry and roughly 76F with a water bowl. Slightly humid on one side of the enclosure.

Is there anything else I need to know about these? Not much infos about them online.

How’s their growth rate?
    Life span?

Any other infos welcome! Doesn’t hurt to know more. Thanks all.

2. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

That's an awfully expensive pet to get if you don't know much about them...

Gorgeous centipedes - but the price tag is a bit rich for my blood. I'd be afraid of losing my investment if I messed up the husbandry.

Good luck!

• Love Love x 1
  3. KOn Le

I’ve talked to many people about them for a couple of months but like I said, it does not hurt to know more. I’m just listing the basic care and hoping to hear some more about them from others. Thanks man

4. KOn Le

Couple of months before getting them***

5. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoprince Active Member

@NYAN, @RTTB, @Salvador, and @CHLee might be able to shed some more light on these fascinating centipedes.

If I had that much money to drop on a single centipede I'd probably get one too, ha ha (if the rest of my centipede list was empty, that is), but I agree with @chanda; a bit rich for my blood right now.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Love Love x 1
  6. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoking Active Member

CA
    Post a picture of the enclosure. It sounds like what you are doing is fine. The growth rate is fairly fast. The full lifespan of most centipedes isn’t very well documented, but I imagine you’ll get another couple years out of it. What other info do you want?

7. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince

It never hurts to have deep substrate. For some reason the “galapagoensis” I had preferred staying out in the open but some of the SA giants will dig deep.

8. Pinchednerve

Pinchednerve Arachnosquire

I recently picked up a pair of white legs as well, I have about 4-5 inches of substrate and some magnolia leaves, cork bark and a small water dish. I'm keeping mine on the dry side with good ventilation. I'm keeping them at room temp 72-74* I hear at cooler temps feeding should be light to allow for slower digestion at lower temps . I'm not an expert but this is what I have gathered reading posts here on Arachnoboards... maybe some of the more experienced keepers can chime in with some detailed info to help us newbies out. I've heard the comment about do your research before you buy such an expensive animal, I did as much reading and trying to extract info from the forums that was I physically able to do at some point you just have to try it for yourself. good luck with your new centipede ....these are incredible animals to work with

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.