Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hello

maybe a little blitt childish question,

but what du you think:)

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree. The pede would come out on top with it's speed and quickness of the bite.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
how big are each? what conditions do they meet in?

if a pede rolled up on a tarantula's burrow my money would probably be on the tarantula cuz it would have a bit of an advantage, all things being equal

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
how big are each? what conditions do they meet in?

if a pede rolled up on a tarantula's burrow my money would probably be on the tarantula cuz it would have a bit of an advantage, all things being equal
i cant imagine anythign ever having an advantage over a Scolopendra that was as big as a gigantea wold be to a t blondi. I of course assume both are full grown.

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ive never seen a hungry pede miss.....any contact and the head come's flippin around and TAG!!!!

I simply believe the pede has a superior design,it will never miss...Where a t has vulnerable side's.If its flanked,there's only so much movement to defend...so....in the long run,the pede every time...even if its snuck up on,the t will get nailed everytime.....

JMO

gunks

Arachnopeon
There's actually a video of a gigantea taking out a tarantula on youtube...

..I dunno if it was a blondi though.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
....and a faked setup. My money is all down for the pede though, the strenght and fury of a hungry pede....oooh...

I'd give even more cred to a full grown De Haani or Mau Chau.

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My friend works for the railroad here in arizona and was constantly driving from yuma to tucson and phoenix....well,one time i hitched a ride to do some college partying up in tucson(a few years back) and on the way we stopped in a randon wash to use the restroom.So,where both pissin when my bud jump's back few feet and says wtf...I walk over and take a look and what do i see.......a scolopendra heros arizonensis with over a inch of its head burrowed into a 3 foot gopher snake.The snake was still alive just sittin there not knowing what to do,while this pede was eatin him alive...crazy

I had to tell this story,it still trips me out when i think about it.

and i second RottweilExpress post,watch out for them de hanni.

Any one remember the seen in platoon where the one soldier says he is not movin another inch....period!!!!Until Tom berenger tells the other guys to stick "that big mean centipede in his pants"...he fell back into line with a quickness,as would i,lol.

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well i have seen 5-6" SHC pedes eat 5" LS A. hentzi before, was pretty odd
and i figgure that relates well to a 12-14" gigantea vs a 12" t. blondi

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd have to put my money on the Sc. gigantea as well. Though that scrappin' would probably be better then King Kong vs. Godzilla!

James H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I want to say that there is a National Geo. that shows a scolopendra sp. eating a tarantula of some type. It has been several years since I have seen that documentary.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I want to say that there is a National Geo. that shows a scolopendra sp. eating a tarantula of some type. It has been several years since I have seen that documentary.
Yes, a phony setup with a B. Albopilosum standing just standing on the ground wondering what's up.

:rolleyes:

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That National Geographic clip is so staged and the fact the pede was allowed to take it's back.

The fact of the matter is, I've seen a G. rosea absolutely own a S. polymorpha in FACE TO FACE confrontation. Bear in mind these weren't my pets but I seen it live and in person. The T used it's first two pairs of legs to bat the S polymorpha's head and tail all around and pinned both ends to the ground while it quickly did the POUNCE and sunk the fangs into it's middle parts and the death took mere seconds. This is something back in my teens btw a friend's source of cruel amusement.

I think these guys (giant pedes and large-xlarge tarantulas) prey on each other. We don't know what the T. blondi is capable of in a FACE TO FACE confrontation. There are probably species of tarantulas that actually specialize in pede bashing and predation but we'll probably never know.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think a movie about freddy vs. jason would be cool.:clap:
i wonder who would win?

Tony92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 8 blondis including a full grown female, very large indeed & a year ago I had a full grown female gigantea, so can give an honest opinion of the capability of these 2 powerful predators, from what I gathered from watching the gigantea, it is indeed a voracious catcher of prey but NO WHERE near as quick on the pounce as a blondi, I had 3 different sub species of pedes here, all Scolopendra, gigantea (adult), subspinipes chinese (adult) & subspinipes barbados juvs, there was a definite difference in speed when watching the gigantea, no matter how long it went without food you could see a marked difference in movement compared to the other pedes, almost as though due to its large size it didn't have the flexibility & dexterity of the smaller pedes, dont get me wrong it was fast but not a patch on the pounce in the blink of an eye speed of a blondi, so......... in my opinion, it would be down to circumstances of the meet up, if the blondi was adult & in prime condition, i.e. not over plump so hungry & ready & the gigantea came head on towards the blondi, then the blondi would have the distinct advantage of detection of movement & size of possible prey, the pede would be suprised by the sudden flash of forward momentum of the spider, a blondi can inflict massive damage with the downward 1" long fangs & can inject huge amounts of venom, even if it bites the gigantea & releases due to suprise of prey coiling forward etc, the damage would be done.
The only way I could see the gigantea coming out as the winner is if it approached from behind & suprised a well fed blondi before it could spin around & react, just my opinion folks after many, many hours of watching these absouloutely fantastic predators in action.................Tony