scolopendra gigantea vs t.blondi

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Really it depends on who strikes first. One bite one kill.
And the tarantula is not at a disadvantage they can spin on dime lightning fast and they are very strong themselves. I have seen this animal quickly smother the other and render it completely powerless always preternaturally aware every second where head and tail were located even before they were located there.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I thought most poisonous invertebrates have resistance to the poison of other invertebrates.
venomous :p

My guess would be that you really can't pin it onto just one, I'm pretty sure multiple encounters would leave it at 50/50. Luck and natural ability both play a role in this I would say.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Many species can be immune to their species venom limitedly as there are always instances of cannibalizes.

Years ago, there was an article posted on invert hobbyist site linked to a scientific article on the study of Centruroides and it's venomous ability to ward being pounced on by B smithi with a hot needle delivery (or rather more specifically the study of B smithi's immunity to endemic Mexican scorpion venoms). Wish I could find that link but I believe the site is gone.

My final conclusion T Blondi if it doesn't react passively is capable packing and shipping it's own cat for overnight dead arrival.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm thinking since both can last a long time after a bite, if the T doesn't bite near the head, both would have a good chance of slowly dying of bites and venom. But I've never had either one of those animals. I know the local heros pedes have a natural fear of the local T's, but they will attack and eat a T too if it sizes up small enough. Just experimenting around, I like Ts too. Very common here and often show up in my house.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And the more passive aggressive individual will probably more likely succeed in being in greater danger than the aggressor too.

I don't know, the G rosea did a quick work on the S polymorpha easily under a minute and I've seen a birdeater on a nature documentary dispatch a lancehead viper very very quickly. Then again polymorpha is no gigantea!

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh yeah, seems both threads have run their course and wanted to close with I don't think Scolopendra rules the roost per se.

I witnessed 5" G. rosea eating 4"-5" S. polymorpha like wheaties several times. The "garden pest" became someone's eight-legged friend breakfast of champions.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh yeah, seems both threads have run their course and wanted to close with I don't think Scolopendra rules the roost per se.

I witnessed 5" G. rosea eating 4"-5" S. polymorpha like wheaties several times. The "garden pest" became someone's eight-legged friend breakfast of champions.
yeah the differance is that a polymorpha is pretty much a wuss scolopendra. also , a 5" scolo will not be half the pede of a 7" one, so you get an 8-10 " any scolopendra and its much more pede compared to the ame LS T than they would be at 5". THe SHC eats T and the Ts eat them too but i have never seen a larger one back away form a T. Usually you see Ts eating smaller pedes(say 5" or so) and its the 7" and larger ones eating the Ts ...
there is a lot of differance in an inch of length on a scolopendra...

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah the differance is that a polymorpha is pretty much a wuss scolopendra. also , a 5" scolo will not be half the pede of a 7" one, so you get an 8-10 " any scolopendra and its much more pede compared to the ame LS T than they would be at 5". THe SHC eats T and the Ts eat them too but i have never seen a larger one back away form a T. Usually you see Ts eating smaller pedes(say 5" or so) and its the 7" and larger ones eating the Ts ...
there is a lot of differance in an inch of length on a scolopendra...
*bump*

That's true but a pouncing birdeater is no pushover either going to immediate work with both fore-pairs of legs and armed with large fangs capable of great mechanical damage assisted by venom/digestive fluids enough to handicap or paralyze the pedes deadlier body functions though the aft parts will be whipping around like crazy I know have held one in a pair of tweezers.

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Having owned both blondi and gigantea, in a head on situation, I 'd put my money on the blondi. Those one inch fangs can penetrate rock hard beetle's wing cases with no problem. It's sporting twin push daggers with a payload of potent venom. The gigantea is a formidable predator though. Never kept subspinipes to compare speed of attack though with gigantea.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Having owned both blondi and gigantea, in a head on situation, I 'd put my money on the blondi. Those one inch fangs can penetrate rock hard beetle's wing cases with no problem. It's sporting twin push daggers with a payload of potent venom. The gigantea is a formidable predator though. Never kept subspinipes to compare speed of attack though with gigantea.
Alot of variables create would play a part in deciding a victor. Mainly for the T it is about venom potency, timing, excellent placed strike(s), and mechnical damage via fangs. A centipede can be a hard invert to put down. And one mod IIRC said he had a giant pede that whipped the aft parts around and eviscerated a mouse with it's terminal legs. That is another factor, that what is the centipede going to do with it's other weapons, seek purchase on the surrounding terrain and flora and perish or maybe inflict great damage on it's adversary and convince the T to let go.

For the centipede is it's speed, it's ability to deliver a bite from most any angle, very active hunter (via National Geographic revealed), and it's ability to use the full length of it's body as a weapon or restraint.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Never kept subspinipes to compare speed of attack though with gigantea.
In my opinion a full grown De haani or Mau chau is twice the predator. I've seen giganteas move and act, in fact they are very much handable as they are quite docile in temper. Compare some clips on youtube if you will, you'll see that a Gigantea almost slithers after the prey/mouse, but the De haani is a psychotic kaos of legs and jaws in a lighting part of a second.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In my opinion a full grown De haani or Mau chau is twice the predator. I've seen giganteas move and act, in fact they are very much handable as they are quite docile in temper. Compare some clips on youtube if you will, you'll see that a Gigantea almost slithers after the prey/mouse, but the De haani is a psychotic kaos of legs and jaws in a lighting part of a second.
I have never had the pleasure of owning a S. gigantea by the time I was ready to pay the money the exportation were banned. :(

But, yes, I have had various Asian Scolopendra, they're spastic and unpredictable, and ... scary. Only now what Asian tarantula can we fill in for the South American birdeater.... Haplopelma hainanum?

I have issues with this match up mainly due to the Haps tendency to give threat displays and strike at the air. But I have heard one secondhand account of a Hap running up an arm and biting someone multiple times. So that doesn't mean the spider wont instantly recognize the Scolopendra threat and deal with that more efficiently and seriously. Somebody already said they seen a Hap vs Sub action but I wished I could have seen it myself and studied it, maybe recognize something weak or wrong in how this particular example of cruel animal bloodsport was conducted (wrong in that I mean the Hap was disadvantaged by conditions or circumstances). Ya know, it's all about that thing called variables.

Both Asian inverts have potent strong venoms!

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my experience a T won't throw a threat pose unless it finds the prey too dangerous or overwhelming. I've never seen a T throw one at a roach, bing or small unless it was newly molted or in premolt, just wanting to be left alone.

So I don't know, if the Haplo is hungry and still throws a pose, I guess that says pretty much...

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I guess we'll never know but I have no doubts centipedes are a part of the Hap diet in the wilds.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no doubt the pede man, if there hungry the will hunt it down burrow or not, i own a T.blondi and she only starts biting if your touch her repidiatly (she pulled my 10" forceps in with her) and the only thing ive seen true to there rep is that there big they hiss and kick hairs and there a bit fast

i also own 2 vietnamese giant centipede S. subpinipes (if i spelled that correct)
it takes down and chases down giant roches (B.giganteus and G.protentosa) 2 hopper mice one she cought in mid jump.. it's a flippin psycho when it comes to feeding
when it cought the mouse he used his hole body as a restraint

the 2nd one is smaller but it took down one crickte and had three other crickets crawl by it and she took them down to the ate them all one after the other

Last edited:

MasamuneX7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have never had the pleasure of owning a S. gigantea by the time I was ready to pay the money the exportation were banned. :(

But, yes, I have had various Asian Scolopendra, they're spastic and unpredictable, and ... scary. Only now what Asian tarantula can we fill in for the South American birdeater.... Haplopelma hainanum?

I have issues with this match up mainly due to the Haps tendency to give threat displays and strike at the air. But I have heard one secondhand account of a Hap running up an arm and biting someone multiple times. So that doesn't mean the spider wont instantly recognize the Scolopendra threat and deal with that more efficiently and seriously. Somebody already said they seen a Hap vs Sub action but I wished I could have seen it myself and studied it, maybe recognize something weak or wrong in how this particular example of cruel animal bloodsport was conducted (wrong in that I mean the Hap was disadvantaged by conditions or circumstances). Ya know, it's all about that thing called variables.

Both Asian inverts have potent strong venoms!
From what I recall, the Hap walked near the Sub, the Sub reacted a little by turning away, Hap threw up a very brief threat pose, then continued walking. It actually walked on top of the Sub, at which point the Sub spun around and bit into it. It was pretty much over then.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the description I can visualize that quite nicely.

The Hap could have had no appetite, well-fed and confined with a psychotic pede, for all intents and purposes it wasn't saying to the pede "Hey, Bud, let's party!"

Why it walked on the pede boggles the mind, maybe something of truce, a passe with no intent to resort to unprovoked violence, or the Hap was too disoriented and distracted by the confinement.

There could be multitudes of reasons.

But once a sub sinks it's fangs in just about any invert it's over with.