Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Scolopendra Gigantea? Species Identification

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by jgalen0025, Oct 9, 2019.

1. jgalen0025

jgalen0025 Arachnopeon

PA
    Advertisement
    I am having an 11 inch specimen being sent as we speak but I could not get a positive id on the species. Mind you, this was collected from a friend who owns land in a tropical US Territory. Recently he mentioned (to my surprise) that he was seeing 12 inch centipedes and killing them on a regular basis. He sent me a picture of one but I couldnt positively identify it with the available information on the web. I thought it was robusta but its antennae are very dark. Could it be another gigantea morph??

Attached Files:

2. hecklad

hecklad Arachnosquire Active Member

Do you know which territory it was found in? It does look like a gigantea but I don't think they're found in any US territories. Alternans is a possibility though

3. jgalen0025

jgalen0025 Arachnopeon

PA
    US Virgin Islands

4. hecklad

hecklad Arachnosquire Active Member

It's most likely an alternans then. It could still possibly be a gigantea but from what I have read any gigantea found there are introduced. Either way it's a gorgeous pede and if possible I would be interested in buying one

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Teds ts and Inverts

Teds ts and Inverts Arachnoknight Active Member

It honestly looks like a Hawaiian Scolopendra subspinipes to me, but hopefully someone else can chime in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnoangel Active Member

Looks a lot more like alternans than gigantea to me

7. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoking Active Member

CA
    It’s alternans

8. Teds ts and Inverts

I stand corrected....

9. NYAN

CA
    I thought it was subspinipes at first also. I got a second opinion and looked at some photos.

10. GDUB

GDUB Arachnopeon

Was wondering why your friend feels the need to kill these "on a regular basis". Yes, they are voracious predators; they also play a role in keeping pest insects under control.

11. kermitdsk

kermitdsk Arachnosquire

Of course the foto isn't perfect... But that is not Scolopendra alternans. It's Scolopendra subspinipes ;)

12. CHLee

CHLee Arachnoknight

It’s subspinipes, just look at the terminal legs, for alternans when you look at them from the top there will be more spines

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. jgalen0025

jgalen0025 Arachnopeon

PA
    If you read the post I said " to my surprise". I never said he needed to kill them or that I agree with him...
    Not justifying but this is mostly a tourist area and if a vacationer found one, in one of the guest houses I can guarantee you they would not return (affecting his livelihood). This is why I was trying to get him to send them to me instead of killing them.

14. jgalen0025

jgalen0025 Arachnopeon

PA
    Not that I dont believe you as I asked for the advice but this is a wild specimen caught in the Caribbean and subspinipes is an Asian centipede?

15. Teds ts and Inverts

I guess I don’t stand corrected then :p

16. Teds ts and Inverts

Well that’s good then.

I’m almost certain that S. subspinipes has been accidentally introduced to the Caribbean Islands. You are correct in that S. subspinipes are native to Asia though.

17. NYAN

CA

Subspinipes is distributed in all sorts of tropical areas, especially islands. I’m not at all surprised that it would be subspinipes. It doesn't look like the ones I normally see though.

18. Andrew101

Andrew101 Arachnopeon

I have a feeling it's possibly not subspinipes base on the cephalic plate shape is off along the forciuples is more tucked towards the head similarly to alternans but the terminal legs looks more like subspinipes here which is throwing me off.

19. NYAN

CA
    Yes, that is what I was thinking also. Alternans appear to have shorter ones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.