Scolopendra galapagoensis

Babyish

Arachnopeon
I'm ordering a galapagoensis very soon, its quite the expensive pede so I want to make sure I keep it right. is there any information you think I might not know, like more uncommon knowledge? Also my room is kept at 79f during the day, and 74f during the night, I'm pretty sure I don't need a heat source but if so please inform me. I know with the gigantea, they're kept dryer than most people would think, is it the same with galapagoensis? I think that's all my questions, thanks!

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I keep my galapagoensis fairly moist, on a mix of topsoil, sand, and a little clay. I throw in a little gravel for texture but it’s probably not necessary. They won’t mind it if it gets a little cooler, those temps are more than fine, honestly warmer than I tend to keep mine.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I was told by a friend that coarse gravel worked well for him and I tried it with mine. Combined with good ventilation, it keeps the enclosure drier to prevent mycosis.

Crom

Arachnosquire
A mix of sand and repti-soil would be ideal I believe. They are more tolerant against mycosis infection than most SA giants, but I would still offer a dry side and lightly moist side with a good sized hide for each side, and plenty of ventilation. Those temps should be OK but they will live longer if you keep them in the low 70s. I kept mine at 68 all winter, raised it to upper 70s, I think she may be getting ready to lay eggs now actually

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Dylan is spot on. Also they do very well in moderate humidity but also thrive in drier conditions (not dry). You can see major difference in color when they have a proper amount of humidity. It is white legs and some others that are more susceptible to mycosis, not galapagoensis with banded legs. They have a very wide distribution, @Galapoheros "The rottweiler of centipedes". An example of year round color in an adult female:

Attachments