Scolopendra falling asleep in the middle of pooping?

Scoliolioli

Arachnopeon
Weird title, I know.

So recently I rehoused NopeNoodle into a 20H glass tank (yes, I've scraped off the silicone sealants above the substrate. Some of it's left for when I water the soil. And yes, the top lids are weighted). Because of this, I can now clearly see where he's resting and all the tunnels he's dug along the walls.

Now this is what worries me a bit: last night, Noodle fell asleep (I guess that's the best way I can describe it) with his genitals slightly out. I don’t know if that's normal. Maybe that's how he's been the entire time I've had him??? All I know is that, when 'pedes have it out, they’re nearly dead. However, Noodle seems fine. None of his legs have curled inwards.

IMG_20210407_231658383.jpg

Do healthy centipedes do this?!

Notes: Noodle molted around three weeks ago. He ate 4 days ago.

Scoliolioli

Arachnopeon
Yes. Beautiful coloration, curious, actively digs. No signs of mycosis.

Edit: That was last night. I lightly poked the substrate above to see if he responded. He moved and retracted his genitals. I found him today in the previous pose, slightly everted.

Last edited:

Scoliolioli

Arachnopeon
Update,
Since the tunnel Noodle dug goes along the glass and he's perfectly visible, I lightly tapped on the substrate in order for him to move. He ran to the other side of the tunnel. The first 4 segments of his body are fine, and there's no inward curling of the legs whatsoever.

Noodle was always kept in frosted-white Sterilite bins away from view. I think that's just how he sleeps. Weird.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
I have observed that they will protrude their genitals when excreting waste and will retract upon completion (may even tap legs while taking a dump). I even thought with a good macro photo lens it would be a possible way to sex them without even having to touch them (would have to get the timing perfectly but perhaps it's possible). Who knows.
But never observed them just letting it hang out while taking a nap lol.

Scoliolioli

Arachnopeon
Maybe he is excreting waste... Noodle did wiggle his legs for a while last night.

And he has a record of being lazy and napping in weird places. One time he drank all his water and fell asleep on the dish. I nudged him so I could refill. He looked up and went back to the water dish.

Scoliolioli

Arachnopeon
I have observed that they will protrude their genitals when excreting waste and will retract upon completion (may even tap legs while taking a dump). I even thought with a good macro photo lens it would be a possible way to sex them without even having to touch them (would have to get the timing perfectly but perhaps it's possible). Who knows.
But never observed them just letting it hang out while taking a nap lol.
I guess I'm just paranoid. I posted this thread right after seeing another having issues with a prolapsed 'pede. I just found Noodle resting in another spot, eeever so slightly everted. Who knows? Maybe they do this as they sleep for months at a time and none of us keepers ever knew?

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
I guess I'm just paranoid. I posted this thread right after seeing another having issues with a prolapsed 'pede. I just found Noodle resting in another spot, eeever so slightly everted. Who knows? Maybe they do this as they sleep for months at a time and none of us keepers ever knew?
I am not sure. That other 'Pede with the prolapse was caused by someone pressing it too hard. Not something it did naturally on its own.
I don't know if it's normal for them to do that, I can only speak of my limited experience with a few specimens, but I haven't seen mine do that while "sleeping".