scolopendra cough medicine

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While on a photo excursion in India, a friend found this Thai package of cough medicine. I'm not about to open it, much less use it as it's too much of a collector's item for me.
It seems as though there are tiny little balls inside, and I'm guessing it's made of subspinipes dehaani. :?

Does anyone have any additional information or even experience with this?

Front:

Back:

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:eek: :eek: :eek: :wall: :evil: Id rather have a cold then kill alot of pedes ><><

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I work with a Laotian/Thai guy, and he says they use centipedes medicinally over there.

He also told me that they take a bottle of "mongwater" or any clear hard liquor, drop the centipede inside, and it releases its venom into the drink as its dying.

Then they drink it.

Kind of like the cobra in the bottle if anyone has seen that.

Just thought id say my two cents.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I work with a Laotian/Thai guy, and he says they use centipedes medicinally over there.

He also told me that they take a bottle of "mongwater" or any clear hard liquor, drop the centipede inside, and it releases its venom into the drink as its dying.

Then they drink it.

Kind of like the cobra in the bottle if anyone has seen that.

Just thought id say my two cents.
Thats pretty crazy. Poor pedes :(

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ja, they do that over here as well. It's quite sad and completely unnecessary. I've seen centipedes, scorpions, snakes, geckos, sea horses, et cetera. And over 10.000 African elephants are killed each year for this same stupid reason to supply the Chinese and Japanese markets. And don't even get me started on tigers, et cetera. Mostly, they believe it will make their member stand up. I just want to throw them into a tub of centipedes/pit of tigers..

Edit: And then there are all the specimens that they encase in glass to sell to tourists! What a *****ing waste of life.

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
To be honest,this does not bother me.Its the tiger,dog,Elephont thing that make's me beyond angry..I will treat my pede's as pets,an obligation to provide whats needed,even more,but

I cannot say what i would do to a person who commited such act's on a mammal......Lets just hope I dont see it!

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To be honest,this does not bother me.Its the tiger,dog,Elephont thing that make's me beyond angry..I will treat my pede's as pets,an obligation to provide whats needed,even more,but

I cannot say what i would do to a person who commited such act's on a mammal......Lets just hope I dont see it!
Bloody oath!

And don't forget that they eat monkeys' brains WHILE THEY ARE STILL ALIVE.

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats where i draw the line between primitive and savage.

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Shoudnt have said it doesnt bother me cause it does..Especially in a pede forum.Rest of my post was deleted to avoid a pointless debate.

I am curious to what "bloody oath" means.You mean oaf,lol??Is that a english way of calling me a idiot?

Last edited:

357wheelgunner

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ja, they do that over here as well. It's quite sad and completely unnecessary. I've seen centipedes, scorpions, snakes, geckos, sea horses, et cetera. And over 10.000 African elephants are killed each year for this same stupid reason to supply the Chinese and Japanese markets.
Don't believe everything you hear....There aren't even 10000 elephants in the world. If there were that many in Africa they'd destroy everything.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't believe everything you hear....There aren't even 10000 elephants in the world. If there were that many in Africa they'd destroy everything.
everything I'm seeing is saying there are populations in the hundreds of thousands in Africa... can you cite a source?

357wheelgunner

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
everything I'm seeing is saying there are populations in the hundreds of thousands in Africa... can you cite a source?
Wow I was way off, I apologize.

The study I read with that number was for one wildlife park! The most consistent number was a little over a half million. That said, if 10K die a year that's not too bad, and probably good for the people and the rest of the wildlife there.

Again, sorry for calling you out on that, I was way off!

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Uh... I still don't agree. Their foraging behaviour is part of the ecology. Every species (Except humans) is accounted for and plays some vital role.

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
in the Kunming airport in China
Despite the subject matter, great photos there Pulk! Love the saturation of the colors and the contrast on the close-up.

And please excuse my ignorance, but do you know how they "use" those 'pedes? I mean, do people just buy them and chew on them as they walk? or are they ground up at home and put into tea? :?

And somehow I doubt that those all come from an elaborate 'pede farm, so if that's just ONE stand... the thought of people taking thousands of scolopendras from the wild is frightening indeed.

Now... if they DO come from a 'pede farm, then that would surely be an amazing sight.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Now... if they DO come from a 'pede farm, then that would surely be an amazing sight.
They farm the "red head subspinipes" variant over there quite productively... it wouldn't be worth anyone's time to pull them en masse from the wild. I know, I've gone wild pede hunting before, and it's a wicked way to make a buck. :)

Uh... I still don't agree. Their foraging behaviour is part of the ecology. Every species (Except humans) is accounted for and plays some vital role.
This is ridiculous statement, humans are as much a part of nature as any other creature on this planet. If we didn't play a "vital role" the world wouldn't work. Why does everyone loathe humanity so much around here these days? It's getting tiring.

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They farm the "red head subspinipes" variant over there quite productively... it wouldn't be worth anyone's time to pull them en masse from the wild. I know, I've gone wild pede hunting before, and it's a wicked way to make a buck. :)

This is ridiculous statement, humans are as much a part of nature as any other creature on this planet. If we didn't play a "vital role" the world wouldn't work. Why does everyone loathe humanity so much around here these days? It's getting tiring.
We were accounted for in the beginning.. When we were still kept in check by other predators. I hardly think that this is ridiculous - Quite sad, actually.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
We were accounted for in the beginning.. When we were still kept in check by other predators. I hardly think that this is ridiculous - Quite sad, actually.
Suit yourself, I'm not going to start loathing my humanity simply because we're at the top of the food chain.

On a related note, I think there are several threads in the past about the S. s. mutilans over in China... I will have to try to search...

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wouw, if you knew me you would never have suggested such blasphemy. Try living in a Third World country for over three years..