• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Scolopendra cingulata "Megarian Banded"

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Megarian Banded Centipede (Scolopendra cingulata)

SCABIES BBQ Jan 19

Someone brought one of these gems to the BBQ and I had to check it out.
Handled it for a few minutes and then decided to try and provoke a bite. I let it settle in my closed hand and then squeezed just a little ...usually this will get Tigers to tag me. Sure enough, it bit me on the palm of my hand. I let it bite while we got a quick look at it gnawing away.

+0 min: A good amount of needle like pain ...both maxillipeds were in and being twisted around.
+0.5 min: Mechanical pain, plus beginning of a small amount of venom burn/ache around area of contact.
+5 min: A nice buzz like pain in my hand, but unlike some other bites I have received, very little of that bone ache working its way up the arm thing. Centipede venom is hard for me to describe, but I wanna say its like being numb and aching at the same time. This one was no exception, except it was very minor.
+10-15 min: Pain peeked and soon after reduced at a speedy rate. Right about that time, I got tagged by a Alipes I ended up purchasing.
Physical pain remained as a reminder throughout the day.

Overall, reminded me of when I get tagged by smallish to mid-sized local Tigers. Though..I do seem to be getting worse with the Tigers.

One thing that I have been watching with curiosity... it seems that when I get envenomated by pedes, other old pede bites and even other healed wounds/scratches flare up. That day/evening I was tagged 3 times (once by the Banded and twice by the Alipes) and throughout the night I started getting itchy places, especially around my hands and lower arms. This symptom lasted 24hrs or so ..at some degree.

edit: just wanted to say though ..really liked the pede. Nice smallish giant and frisky. ;) It was "mine!", but darnit, someone else called dibs when I wasnt listening.. bummer.