Scolopendra Care - is this right?

pbenner

Arachnosquire
Hi guys,

I got my wish and someone at my GFs work caught a centipede in a bucket and left it for me. See picture.

20191109_112344.jpg

Everything I've read online at a glance shows much more humidity than I thought it would need. No way this animal was getting that amount in the wild here.

Will continue to add to its enclosure as I go. But any additional thoughts?

Paul

NYAN

Arachnoking
First off, online care sheets are mostly wrong. That’s Scolopendra heros, you are right to assume that the moisture requirements would be too high because they are. Keeping this species too moist will cause it to get mycosis.

Keep them on the dry side with a rocky, dry substrate. I use sand and various sized rocks and pebbles with a bit of coco fiber. I’d also recommend adding some clay. You want several inches of this and ideally there would be a gradient of moisture throughout the depth. Make sure it has a water dish and something to hide under.

pbenner

Arachnosquire
First off, online care sheets are mostly wrong. That’s Scolopendra heros, you are right to assume that the moisture requirements would be too high because they are. Keeping this species too moist will cause it to get mycosis.

Keep them on the dry side with a rocky, dry substrate. I use sand and various sized rocks and pebbles with a bit of coco fiber. I’d also recommend adding some clay. You want several inches of this and ideally there would be a gradient of moisture throughout the depth. Make sure it has a water dish and something to hide under.
Thought that might be the case with this one. Thank you for the advice. I went on the dryer side for a start but will go to something along these lines when I go for a Permanent enclosure for it.