Scolopendra altrenans species Puerto Rico

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
With it not being your pic mods will remove it. Feel free to circle and arrow one of these. It won't be deleted. Female Scolopendra viridicornis (I'm not fussed if she's not the true blah blah blah.....)
I was going to take it down myself after a while (I hate it when people do stuff like what I did actually), and thanks for the viridicornis photos! The ringfurrow is very clear in those too.

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
The hispaniola red giants are a different species. They have no ring furrow whereas alternans do.
Jafunentes, your pede's really cool looking. I'm getting a red giant next month. If the forum wants some pics.. :)
Pics are always good!

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Well.. I poste in scolopendra club v2 my Borneo black. It's the only one in the hobby for now. Until she drops eggs or someone else manages to import one !

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah but I've certified 2 days ago by someone very experienced that they have one. I checked and I came (somehow, but I can't remember) to the conclusion that he was right. I was doubting it as well.
But after checking again, I must have been tired. They don't seem to have any.
Who was the experienced person

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Actually they're naturally aggressive, even when bred in captivity when it's never known natural surroundings they are still aggressive, it's in their nature, they're apex predators among the inverts in their environment.
I think centipede aggression has more to do with what's above them in the food chain than below. They are basically big juicy worms in a world of birds and lizards...

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Probably explains why the SA pedes are so docile compared to most giant centipedes - they're significantly higher in the food chain than most inverts, including other pedes.

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
The hispaniola red giants are a different species. They have no ring furrow whereas alternans do.
Jafunentes, your pede's really cool looking. I'm getting a red giant next month. If the forum wants some pics.. :)
When it comes in let me see these pictures

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Alternans don't have ring furrows!

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Alternans don't have ring furrows!
Yes. I posted this some time ago. I've been told since that they do have a partial ring furrow, which isn't seen well in pictures.
I'm still doubting it. They may have none.
Anyway, I'll give pics of my red giant once it comes in!
@NYAN , a ring furrow is a slight dent parallel to the segments seen on the first tergite.
It is present in S. gigantea and S.galapagoensis as well as S.polymorpha, for instance. But many other species display one.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Yes. I posted this some time ago. I've been told since that they do have a partial ring furrow, which isn't seen well in pictures.
I'm still doubting it. They may have none.
Anyway, I'll give pics of my red giant once it comes in!
@NYAN , a ring furrow is a slight dent parallel to the segments seen on the first tergite.
It is present in S. gigantea and S.galapagoensis as well as S.polymorpha, for instance. But many other species display one.
Ah, so you're Leo. I thought so! It's a fun game trying to match people on arachnoboards with people on Facebook :D

I'm also simply going on high res pictures, I've not kept an alternans for about 17 years!!! So maybe they have a very subtle one. The absence of a ring furrow on Hispaniola Red Giants (I'm very jealous by the way, I was really thinking about getting one from Thorsten but the price is just too high) is interesting as it shows it is quite removed form the galapagoensis/gigantea complex.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
@NYAN the ring furrow is the mark found on the first tergite of many South American species.

Here is ring furrow on galapagoensis:

On gigantea:

On a true viridicornis (you can just see it):

On what is sold as viridicornis in Europe and may or may not be (species from Peru):

On spinipriva:

But is not there on alternans:

Or on Hispaniola red giant (currently undescribed)

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Ah, so you're Leo. I thought so! It's a fun game trying to match people on arachnoboards with people on Facebook :D

I'm also simply going on high res pictures, I've not kept an alternans for about 17 years!!! So maybe they have a very subtle one. The absence of a ring furrow on Hispaniola Red Giants (I'm very jealous by the way, I was really thinking about getting one from Thorsten but the price is just too high) is interesting as it shows it is quite removed form the galapagoensis/gigantea complex.
Yes I am! You should have asked hahaha :). Who are you on FB by the way? I'm not too sure. :)
I didn't get the red giant for the price announced on his website. I got it for 160 instead of 250!
Just ask him for specific stuff and he might have something for you. I asked for the smallest specimen he had.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes I am! You should have asked hahaha :). Who are you on FB by the way? I'm not too sure. :)
I didn't get the red giant for the price announced on his website. I got it for 160 instead of 250!
Just ask him for specific stuff and he might have something for you. I asked for the smallest specimen he had.
Many years ago the Hispaniola pede was thought by some scientists to be a subspinipes. Does anybody know as fact that the Hispaniola pede is not an alternans form? I saw what some claimed to be an alternans and it was as big as most adult SA centipedes I've seen. It was put next to an adult gigantea, it was the same size. But it was patterned like the typical alternans from Florida and Puerto Rico.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
The biggest recorded specimen was 33cm BL. A true giant.
I think they are alternans now. It's what I always thought until I was first told that alternans have ring furrows. And I didn't check. My bad.
Seeing as they don't seem to have any, I believe they might be the same species.

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Many years ago the Hispaniola pede was thought by some scientists to be a subspinipes. Does anybody know as fact that the Hispaniola pede is not an alternans form? I saw what some claimed to be an alternans and it was as big as most adult SA centipedes I've seen. It was put next to an adult gigantea, it was the same size. But it was patterned like the typical alternans from Florida and Puerto Rico.
I don’t recall them ever being sold as subspinipes, have a reference to that? Back in the 2000s I remember them being sold a alternans red/ haitian red something like that

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don’t recall them ever being sold as subspinipes, have a reference to that? Back in the 2000s I remember them being sold a alternans red/ haitian red something like that
I remember it being more of an inference and what I read was probably from the 80s or 90s. It said something like, "....there is a large subspinipes from Dominican...." So I assumed the document was referring to the Hispaniola centipede. This would have been when there was probably no or little hobby interest in the diddly. It was a very short mentioning of it, I remember it being in a pdf somewhere. I bet it was something mentioned way too soon, without taking a really good look at the pede. They may have noticed no ring furrow so, maybe they just made a guess there.