Scolopendra altrenans species Puerto Rico

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
It's extremely aggressive!!!!!!!!!!!!! And he's about 5 inches right now.

craze horse

Arachnosquire
I don't know what it is but it's certainly got lovely markings. I'd be pretty aggressive to if I'd been plucked out of my natural surroundings and put in a tub !

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
I don't know what it is but it's certainly got lovely markings. I'd be pretty aggressive to if I'd been plucked out of my natural surroundings and put in a tub !
Actually they're naturally aggressive, even when bred in captivity when it's never known natural surroundings they are still aggressive, it's in their nature, they're apex predators among the inverts in their environment.

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
Anyone have one with markings that are almost identical?
Yup I posted a video interacting with one a few days ago, the link is here: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/alternans-and-polymorpha-strange-interactions-vid.281477/

Also I wanna clear up something I've read on this thread, this species is not aggressive like everyone makes it out to be, just more jumpy then some. They have a similar demeanor to Gigantea/Galapagoensis so when shown that you mean no harm and when worked with slowly in the right way I find these are by far some of the most docile centipede species out there and are a joy to ineract with. I'll also add I have neve once received an envenomation by one and have handled lots and lots of them.

The Florida Alternans on the other hand are what I would call "bitey" they are constantly dry pinching (pinching with no venom injected) IDK why they do it but they do this strange cringing motion before they pinch so you can always tell when a bites coming if you pay attention. I will also add though I have never truly been envenomated by a Florida Alternans either, just lots of dry pinches.

These pedes have such a bad rep I think do to their flighty nature, but they are not the monsters they are made out to be by any means, just weary and carful.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've read the ones in Puerto Rico generally get pretty big, I also read the giant red Caribbean centipede is a color form of alternans. Was that ever cleared up? Years ago, a scientist or two assumed the big red ones were a subspinipes.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
The hispaniola red giants are a different species. They have no ring furrow whereas alternans do.
Jafunentes, your pede's really cool looking. I'm getting a red giant next month. If the forum wants some pics.. :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The hispaniola red giants are a different species. They have no ring furrow whereas alternans do.
Jafunentes, your pede's really cool looking. I'm getting a red giant next month. If the forum wants some pics.. :)
I don't think alternans has a ring furrow.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What might fool people at times is a mislabeled polymorpha pic that do have a furrow, they superficially look like alternans.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Yeah but I've certified 2 days ago by someone very experienced that they have one. I checked and I came (somehow, but I can't remember) to the conclusion that he was right. I was doubting it as well.
But after checking again, I must have been tired. They don't seem to have any.

Yulian

Arachnopeon
There should be a sticky with centipede anatomy for newbies like there is on the T forums, I still dont know what a ring furrow is :rofl:

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
There should be a sticky with centipede anatomy for newbies like there is on the T forums, I still dont know what a ring furrow is :rofl:
[previously was a photo here]
This great (NOT MY PHOTO) picture of an S. heros is a good example; I circled and arrowed to the ringfurrow. It's the crease on the first segment behind the cephalic plate (headplate). Only New World Scolopendra species have it with the exception of S. alternans, S. longipes, and a few others that do not.
It does ;)
Edit: until I find a decisive picture, I'm actually not so sure.. xD
S. alternans has no ringfurrow as far as I can see, though there is a very slight crease behind the cephalic plate that looks a bit like a ringfurrow, but is in no way as prominent as heros, polymorpha, or gigantea.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod

This great (NOT MY PHOTO) picture of an S. heros is a good example; I circled and arrowed to the ringfurrow. It's the crease on the first segment behind the cephalic plate (headplate). Only New World Scolopendra species have it with the exception of S. alternans, S. longipes, and a few others that do not.

S. alternans has no ringfurrow as far as I can see, though there is a very slight crease behind the cephalic plate that looks a bit like a ringfurrow, but is in no way as prominent as heros, polymorpha, or gigantea.

With it not being your pic mods will remove it. Feel free to circle and arrow one of these. It won't be deleted. Female Scolopendra viridicornis (I'm not fussed if she's not the true blah blah blah.....)