Scolopendra alterans (Haiti)

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A new one a aquired from Botar. Large and in charge. Before I mess with it too much, I'm gonna have to get it in a deep tuperware container. What that monster is in is just not enough.

Correction. This is not a Haitian Giant but a Thia Giant from Asia.

Last edited:

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Beautiful pede man! S. alternans rocks. :D I have a 7" BL S. subspinipes and a 7.5" BL S. alternans, and the Haitian just has so much more mass to it, despite a very similar feeding record. Monstrous. :D Have fun with yours. :clap: :)

gunks

Arachnopeon
Arnt the Alterans almost perpetually buried though? Like, more so then other pedes like the Subspinipes?

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Arnt the Alterans almost perpetually buried though? Like, more so then other pedes like the Subspinipes?
I've only had mine about a year, it stayed buried for weeks at a time over the winter, emerging once in a while and sitting up top until I fed it..... then back underground. However as the weather has warmed up this spring, the pede has been out quite a bit, not very active but eating lots and always visible. Although now that I look in on it, she's buried again. :rolleyes:

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
is this really a Scolopendra alternans? weird coloration..

i think that this is a subspinipes. on the 1st picture, the number of its smooth antenna segments must be 6. but S. alternans has 5(total segments are 17)

caco and steven.. how about you?

cheers!

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

i think that this is a subspinipes. on the 1st picture, the number of its smooth antenna segments must be 6. but S. alternans has 5(total segments are 17)

cheers!
Yes, I think he's confused two of them. That one is the Thai Giant that just came in... pretty sure they are another form of the S. subspinipes.

@ Jeremy - The Haitian was in the larger one in the 4" deli cup and the Egyptian was the smaller in the 4" deli cup. The one you have pictured was the one in the 6" deli cup and that is the Thai giant.

Botar

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@ Jeremy - The Haitian was in the larger one in the 4" deli cup and the Egyptian was the smaller in the 4" deli cup. The one you have pictured was the one in the 6" deli cup and that is the Thai giant.

Botar
Oh, ok. Thanks for the correction. I thought something was a little off but I just couldn't find much on this pede.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: beautiful chunko ya got there! i love it, i got 1 of those awhile back from someone on the boards here,very aggressive awesome pede,good luck with yours,hmm botar has some i may have to get another,you don't see these around much.

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

cheers!
Nice observation; and for the number and the position of the prefemoral spines in the terminal legs, i would guess S. subspinipes dehanni. Like this.

3 spines.

In other hand, coloration never is inportant to ID pedes, just can be something orientative. Anathomy is the powerfull method to ID pedes.

Cheers
Carles