Scolopender21's Centipede care Sheet.

scolopender21

Arachnopeon
Everything here is purely from what I have learned in my years of centipede keeping, In the coming weeks I will add some more info about other species I know about. Feel free to ask about a species and I will tell you what I know! I will start with the basics and then work my way into particular centipedes from there.
Substrate
There is a lot of misinformation about this, with centipedes that require humidity (many Asian pedes don't really like it too high but they will tolerate it) I will recommend peat moss. It is pretty good for tropical pedes and when mixed with some sand and fine clay, It will allow for lots of burrowing activity. With arid species like for example S. polymorpha and S. heros, a very sandy, gravel, and clay mixture works best. These centipedes are very prone to mycosis (fungal infection) and they will live for many years in these conditions with just a water dish. But pedes like S. sp white leg, I keep on the coco fiber bricks. I know many people say it is very hazardous for pedes, but hear me out. I add water to saturate the bricks and have them expand, and wash the fine particles out. Then I bake it in an oven at 375 deg F. I have used this with White legs for many years and it works great for me. What is really dangerous is the bagged stuff with fine particles, this will kill pedes FAST.

Humidity/ventilation
Humidity is usually irrelevant if there is good vent, but what really matters is how damp/wet the substrate is. The desert species will very quickly develop mycosis and other problems leading to death. But with tropical pedes you really need the vent if you will have moist sub, I drill holes all around the enclosure to have proper cross ventilation. Depending on your species, just use good judgement and you should be fine.

Housing and Temperature
Housing centipedes is often misunderstood, I used to use tall tanks with mesh lids but after a few injuries of them getting body parts stuck in the mesh, I went to using storage containers. You have to get the ones with the sealing lid to prevent escapes and drill vent holes on the top and along the length of the enclosure. Don't ever make any holes larger than half the centipedes head. As long as you use good judgement you will be fine, I always use very low storage containers to prevent climbing with heavy pedes, but to each their own. Temperature is also a big one, I keep my big SA giants warm as it speeds up digestion but with the exception of a few like the Malaysian jewel, if you are comfortable, they are comfortable.

Feeding
Centipedes are not like tarantulas that will do great on a single food item their entire life, but do best on a varied diet. It won't die if kept on a single healthy food item, but it won't allow for the best growth and health. Overfeeding will very quickly shorten a centipedes life span and lead to a very fat centipede. Unless your centipede is a young juvie or pedeling then you feed it twice a week with as much food as it wants. If you really want a giant centipede, you have to keep it really warm to allow for fast digestion and safe power-feeding. But your typical adult pede only really needs to eat once a week. Many people feed live mice to huge pedes, usually to a really big S. dehaani or a big SA pede. Even the largest centipedes do not need to be fed mice, it won't benefit the centipede any more than a large hisser or a gravid dubia. And if fed in exessive amounts will lead to a overweight pede in no time. It also just makes a animal suffer for no reason, If you really want to feed a rodent, please just use a frozen one. You can also offer fruits to add some variety to their diet, but they have lots of sugar so I don't offer them that more than once a month. My centipede's diets consist of dubia, red - runners, superworms, fruit, raw meats, and the occasional anole. The more different prey items the better.

Cleanness
Most centipedes are really good about eating everything they can, but a cleanup crew is always great if possible. I always simply search the enclosure for uneaten food bits. If you want to feed something that is likely messy, just transfer the pede into a different enclosure and just return it once it's done. Leaving uneaten food around will attract pests like flies and mites.

I will be adding more to this, argue all you want but this is what has worked for me. I hope to see this become a helpful resource. Thank you for reading!

Taffy

Arachnoknight
Everything here is purely from what I have learned in my years of centipede keeping, In the coming weeks I will add some more info about other species I know about. Feel free to ask about a species and I will tell you what I know! I will start with the basics and then work my way into particular centipedes from there.
Substrate
There is a lot of misinformation about this, with centipedes that require humidity (many Asian pedes don't really like it too high but they will tolerate it) I will recommend peat moss. It is pretty good for tropical pedes and when mixed with some sand and fine clay, It will allow for lots of burrowing activity. With arid species like for example S. polymorpha and S. heros, a very sandy, gravel, and clay mixture works best. These centipedes are very prone to mycosis (fungal infection) and they will live for many years in these conditions with just a water dish. But pedes like S. sp white leg, I keep on the coco fiber bricks. I know many people say it is very hazardous for pedes, but hear me out. I add water to saturate the bricks and have them expand, and wash the fine particles out. Then I bake it in an oven at 375 deg F. I have used this with White legs for many years and it works great for me. What is really dangerous is the bagged stuff with fine particles, this will kill pedes FAST.

Humidity/ventilation
Humidity is usually irrelevant if there is good vent, but what really matters is how damp/wet the substrate is. The desert species will very quickly develop mycosis and other problems leading to death. But with tropical pedes you really need the vent if you will have moist sub, I drill holes all around the enclosure to have proper cross ventilation. Depending on your species, just use good judgement and you should be fine.

Housing and Temperature
Housing centipedes is often misunderstood, I used to use tall tanks with mesh lids but after a few injuries of them getting body parts stuck in the mesh, I went to using storage containers. You have to get the ones with the sealing lid to prevent escapes and drill vent holes on the top and along the length of the enclosure. Don't ever make any holes larger than half the centipedes head. As long as you use good judgement you will be fine, I always use very low storage containers to prevent climbing with heavy pedes, but to each their own. Temperature is also a big one, I keep my big SA giants warm as it speeds up digestion but with the exception of a few like the Malaysian jewel, if you are comfortable, they are comfortable.

Feeding
Centipedes are not like tarantulas that will do great on a single food item their entire life, but do best on a varied diet. It won't die if kept on a single healthy food item, but it won't allow for the best growth and health. Overfeeding will very quickly shorten a centipedes life span and lead to a very fat centipede. Unless your centipede is a young juvie or pedeling then you feed it twice a week with as much food as it wants. If you really want a giant centipede, you have to keep it really warm to allow for fast digestion and safe power-feeding. But your typical adult pede only really needs to eat once a week. Many people feed live mice to huge pedes, usually to a really big S. dehaani or a big SA pede. Even the largest centipedes do not need to be fed mice, it won't benefit the centipede any more than a large hisser or a gravid dubia. And if fed in exessive amounts will lead to a overweight pede in no time. It also just makes a animal suffer for no reason, If you really want to feed a rodent, please just use a frozen one. You can also offer fruits to add some variety to their diet, but they have lots of sugar so I don't offer them that more than once a month. My centipede's diets consist of dubia, red - runners, superworms, fruit, raw meats, and the occasional anole. The more different prey items the better.

Cleanness
Most centipedes are really good about eating everything they can, but a cleanup crew is always great if possible. I always simply search the enclosure for uneaten food bits. If you want to feed something that is likely messy, just transfer the pede into a different enclosure and just return it once it's done. Leaving uneaten food around will attract pests like flies and mites.

I will be adding more to this, argue all you want but this is what has worked for me. I hope to see this become a helpful resource. Thank you for reading!
yea centipede care is stupidly easy. i’m not sure why some people over-complicate it so much. it’s literally just a bunch of ventilation, slightly damp substrate, and places to hide.

scolopender21

Arachnopeon
S. polymorpha
This is just the best beginner pede ever, they are cheap, hardy, and don't have potent venom. They do best in an small tub with cross vent, a hide or two, dry rocky substrate, and some leaf litter. This can all be accomplished in a pretty tight budget, and if you live in the right place you can catch one for free, and also collect enclosure materials that will best suit the pede. Feeding should be a roach or cricket 2-3 times the size of it's head once a week. And a full water dish at all times. If you can't collect their wild substrate I recommend this Exo terra stone desert stuff, it works great. Your vent should look similar to this: Screenshot 2023-01-23 3.45.22 PM.png And that is pretty much it for Polymorpha.

S. Heros
Just pretty much the same care as S. polymorpha but a larger enclosure, and try to figure out the locale to get the sub more accurate.

S. Dehaani
These tend to be known as very fiesty, but if you set them up the right way and DON'T DIG EM UP they won't really be that bad to deal with. I believe most aggression from centipedes comes from them being set up incorrectly, (I once bought a E. trigonopodus that was a terribly behaved centipede and within months it grew tame enough to be handled) So you want to keep them on pretty much peat moss, sand, and a little bit of clay. These things are super diggers so don't expect to see them every day, you want to keep the substrate moist with lots of cross vent. The enclosure should be a rather tall bin with at least 5 in of substrate, I always keep no more than half the centipede's length to the lid but S. dehaani is pretty tough so you can get away with much more room. I no longer really leave a ton of space between the top of the enclosure and the sub, because some very old and fat individuals decided to try to climb and then fall down to their deaths. So I recommend avoiding that if possible. They only need to be fed one thing a week but you should be switching out the food items consistently. Only feed them if they are running around. They like it warmer like 70 - 85 degrees F otherwise they will spend a million years in premolt and when you finally dig them up they have still not molted. Including a moisture gradiant will help, if you are really scared of mycosis then you keep it more dry but you will have a really pissed off centipede that wants to burrow.

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
Yes, I usually only collect dirt where I know there is no pesticides used
so i collected substrate next to a pond near my house because it contains high amounts of clay, sand, gravel, and just good stuff for pedes to burrow in. Would you recommend against using it?

Taffy

Arachnoknight
so i collected substrate next to a pond near my house because it contains high amounts of clay, sand, gravel, and just good stuff for pedes to burrow in. Would you recommend against using it?
no, that sounds fine. just make sure it’s been sanitized