Scollependra help

CreepTumorXD

Arachnoknight
Hello, this is my first centipede so I was trying to understand why he has been under ground for over a month? anyone know?

CreepTumorXD

Arachnoknight
Well he did it another time to molt, but he spent most of his time under some bark.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Most importantly, resist the temptation to check on it, no matter how long it's been hiding. It could possibly be on eggs.

CreepTumorXD

Arachnoknight
hmm, interesting, yeah the last thing i wanted to do was dig it up. I am not sure its a he.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They always come back out after a point. Open the enclosure every now and then and take a sniff. As long as it doesn't smell like something dead it's fine. They like to hide quite a bit, so it probably just is comfy down in the burrow. It could be overwintering to an extent as well.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hello, this is my first centipede so I was trying to understand why he has been under ground for over a month? anyone know?
Maybe your centipede is a "she", and pregnant as F-Word, like happened to me :-s

Always under, under... down under. Safe. No noise. Right humidity & temps: all parameters respected. Then, one night, had badass babies jumping out from the holes I've drilled.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
hmm, interesting, yeah the last thing i wanted to do was dig it up. I am not sure its a he.
Mark my words: unlike for T's, only very few in the hobby trade are able to sex centipedes. Centipedes doesn't sell nor are "most wanted" (sadly) like Theraphosidae, and 95% (and I'm kind now) are WC, not CB. Therefore a pregnant she? Hell, it happens ;-)

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I know. And I failed...twice.
It's a pity centipedes seem comparatively unpopular. They're absolutely mesmerising to watch. Meanwhile, the only two tarantulas I ever kept were a combination of pet rocks and pet holes. Oh, and pedes are more intelligent. But the, you should see the hate that centipedes have to endure, especially when they win those bug fights.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I know. And I failed...twice.
It's a pity centipedes seem comparatively unpopular. They're absolutely mesmerising to watch. Meanwhile, the only two tarantulas I ever kept were a combination of pet rocks and pet holes. Oh, and pedes are more intelligent. But the, you should see the hate that centipedes have to endure, especially when they win those bug fights.
I hate that... here for instance Theraphosidae are a sort of "Al Capone", and they own the site: at the voice Myriapods, notably, you can find more about millipedes than scolopendra/s. It's a shame, centipedes are the ultimate badass... OW T's are brats crying for a stolen candy, if compared. Bah :-s

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I only have one centipede not sure what kind I collected him where I work the biggest I've seen is about an inch mabye inch and a half long but it's very cool and I injoy having him in my collection one day I might get a larger sp but for now he's fine

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
still no sign of him/her... should I be worried?
Yes. No. Depends.

Seems absurd but I'm not joking :)

Mine remained under the cork bark (where she made a nice burrow) for more than a month. Because she was gravid. However, since I wasn't aware of that fact (I bought her as unsexed, and btw 99% of centipedes are WC) feeling the worst I've checked, raising a bit in a gentle and soft way the cork bark just for see.

As I've said, you can't exclude that yours could be a 'she' and maybe gravid.

If there's no "bad smell" (you know what I mean) isn't dead :-s

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Vietnamese
So, let's say a S.subspinipes, like the one I have. Well, no matter what others can say, those are class A pet holes if given the opportunity, especially if you offer them, aside for inches of substrate, a lot of hiding places (fake leaves, cork bark, rocks... everything).

Granted, when they're out in the open, unlike obligate burrowers T's, they love to stay out more, but no matter, pet holes.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Mine disappear underground often for days. Make sure you have proper humidity.