Scientific Names.....?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I used to pronounce Haplopelma as 'ho-phone-o-felma' for some reason.:rofl:
That's my great advantage. Haplopelma remains, in a very ridiculous easy way to spell, Haplopelma.

'ho-phone-o-felma' is beautyful, man. Sounds like a drunk Irish.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Is Latin still mandatory in Italian schools? Unfortunately we no longer have have Latin as an optional third language in our schools, but back in the days beating Latin knowledge into the kids was considered the best way of ensuring that they grew up to become civilised adults :hurting: I´ve studied Church history at the university so we did have courses in Ancient Greek, Latin and Biblical Hebrew. Since then I have only partly kept my Greek up to date, so even though my diploma states that I am supposed to know Latin, that is no longer the case :(.

From a grammatical point of view, Romanian is the modern language closest to its Latin origins.
When my Mother was in her school days, yes. When i was, in the '80/'90, wasn't mandatory in elementary nor secondary schools (meaning, children to 12/13 years) only just a bit on those last ones, but absolutely yes in Liceo Classico, Liceo Scientifico etc (High Schools, in English? Don't know, here is different) and of course University.
Ancient Greek as well.

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
I find it relatively easy to remember the latin names as I've spent a lot of time reading up about each of the tarantulas I own (only 4 though!). I have a slight advantage doing a biology degree too - I had to learn 100 species' latin names in a week for part of an intense field course once. But in terms of pronunciation, I don't pronounce them correctly and say them how they're spelt.

RJ2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
physically write out their names, and say the name when you write it, helped me lock them in the grey matter.

Atmospheric

Arachnopeon
I use counless hours learning names in the beginning, not only names, but also behavior and traits. it was a very good time for me these days, i did not no much about T´s then, but was eager to learn, and i did...
I'm eager to learn, don't get me wrong. But I guess I was foolish to think the names would just stick. It is a learning process for sure. I got my scorps names down so hopefully the T's start storing themselves in my memory cache soon.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
It's a lot easier for me to remember latin names. I always forget the english names because I never care t learn them xD I usually say to people when they ask what species, "She's a Brachypelma albopilosum! Uhhhhhh -five minutes later- Honduran Curlyhair!"
I am American, but I looove languages, I am learning French and Finnish atm. When I don't know how to pronounce things I just pronounce them in my head the wrong way until I see a video where someone says the name.
It only took me like a day to remember a bunch of the names, but even a year later, I'm still learning new things!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
"Hoc habeo quodcumque dedi." Latin.

"Io ho quel che ho donato". In Italian.

In English (probably, because my English sucks a lot) "I have what i have given".

Thanks Gabriele D'Annunzio, vate and example for us, true proud Italians, still today.

We were, at the end, the center of the civilized world during those golden ages, conquering Evropa with carrot & stick :)

Hail to Latin, still today used in the western nations for motto, in the army and etc

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I was just about to say that the only Italian I knew was "Requiescat in pace," only to find out that, no, that's Latin. Video games lied to me!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I was just about to say that the only Italian I knew was "Requiescat in pace," only to find out that, no, that's Latin. Video games lied to me!
Uhm, that wasn't a lie, ah ah. While it's true that is Latin, back then here was used by Priests and the whole Catholic Church before the Second Vatican Council, after that, the Latin mass was disbanded so the use of Latin in certain occasions, like when someone is near to/or dead.
Ezio didn't lied ;-) today is: "Riposa in pace" very similar.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm eager to learn, don't get me wrong. But I guess I was foolish to think the names would just stick. It is a learning process for sure. I got my scorps names down so hopefully the T's start storing themselves in my memory cache soon.
Well, i think you just should enjoy this time, it is a great time for hobbyist, time to learn about these great creatures, it is the best feeling you can have, all new and ready to learn about them... I tell you this, it was the time i learned fast and much. I do still learn,but at another pace.... So my point is, enjoy this exciting time, you will have a very good idea of which T´s you want to have by learning about them;-)

mmfh

Arachnobaron
It took me about a year to become totally familiar with Latin names. What helped me most was reading the breeder's "for sale" lists where they had both the Latin and the common name. Now I can barely remember some of the common names.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I'm in the camp of drinking up the various Latin/scientific names. I have the pronunciation link posted above bookmarked, and was surprised to find it had updated at some point and added new names. I love finding a new genus and trying to make sure I'm saying it the best I can.

If you can, go to Expos and talk to people who specialize in spiders. They'll have a pretty good grasp of how names are said, and should have them listed as Latin/scientific in bold, then the common name(s(s)) in smaller test below (if needed/available).

Also, I find it to be a good a good idea to bring a "gauge" with you - that is, a name you already know but is a bit tricky. If they say "Oh yeah, Bray-cee-pell-meleenos albert-pillow-some are great", you know to back away slowly. Once you know they are knowledgeable folk, just point to all the ones you can't pronounce. Spider people love to talk about spiders. ;)

From everything I have read about our tarantula genera, often when "oe" are together, the e is silent. So for Poecilotheria, you could think of it as Peecilotheria. I say this as Pee-sell-oh-there-ia. Very soft, like it fell out of your mouth. For Psalmopoeus, you could go with Psalmopeeus. I say Sall-moe-pee-us, also soft. There's a lot of people who think I'm wrong, I'm sure but it's what sounds best to me. :)

Get on your high horse, hold a wine glass with a pinky extended, and start using Latin/scientific names with a certain pride. They're fun to say (not looking at you Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens....).

One more tip... my browser underlines for misspelled words. When you get the spelling correct here (desktop only I think, maybe only Chrome), right click to add to dictionary. You'll get better at correcting your own spelling (looking at you Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens :)).

saturnthegrey

Arachnosquire
I don't know a lot of names but the scientific names are intriguing to me so they stick in my head and they're fun to say out loud in different ways. My fiancé most likely finds this very obnoxious haha

petkokc

Arachnosquire
Pterinochilus used to be 'puh-tro-no-chil-us', though now that I realize the P is silent, it's since turned into 'tro-no-chil-us'.
"C" is silent when it is in front of "H", everything else in that name is pronounced as it is written...using latin pronunciation of course, not english ^^

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
"C" is silent when it is in front of "H", everything else in that name is pronounced as it is written...using latin pronunciation of course, not english ^^
If you look at the link I posted the phonetic pronunciation is a bit different, Scientific names are not straight Latin but a mix of old world languages.
example from link; the ch is a hard "K" and where the emphasis is in the word
Pterinochilus (te-ruh-nuh-KY-luhs)