Scientific Name Pronunciations

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Been wondering how to correctly pronounce Tliltocatl forever. I struggle with correctly pronouncing scientific names.

Found this site:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I listened to the 3 voices pronouncing it and the middle one sounds the clearest.

I've been pronouncing it thinking the T was silent all this time, lol.

I knew I should of taken some Latin back in the day.

PhoenixFyre

Arachnomom
Arachnosupporter +
I think what throws everyone off is the first "L" which is silent I believe.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I listened to the 3 voices pronouncing it and the middle one sounds the clearest.

I've been pronouncing it thinking the T was silent all this time, lol.

I knew I should of taken some Latin back in the day.
The genus name Tliltocatl is not Latin. It is made up of two Nahuatl (native people of southern Mexico and Central America) words, “tlil” and “tocatl”, which mean “black spider.” (Source: Mendoza and Francke, 2019)

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I think what throws everyone off is the first "L" which is silent I believe.
Well this is how stupid I can get. I was looking at the word like it looks like an Aztec or maybe Mayan word. Then finally the light bulb went off and I realized it's Latin.

Wait a minute, I've just been corrected by @AphonopelmaTX

The genus name Tliltocatl is not Latin. It is made up of two Nahuatl (native people of southern Mexico and Central America) words, “tlil” and “tocatl”, which mean “black spider.” (Source: Mendoza and Francke, 2019)
Thanks so I was on the right track to begin with and it's not Latin. I have a headache now

PhoenixFyre

Arachnomom
Arachnosupporter +
Yes you were! I was just going to write you and say that it was the Nahuatl language.

When I first saw the name I sort of recognized it, but I wanted to make sure.

I contacted a friend of mine who is a retired Linguistic professor that specializes in Indigenous Languages of South America and he was the one that wrote it out for me phonetically.

Other than that I was looking at the name and saying "Tlilituu?...tleelito?...te...oh forget it..." :rofl:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
This wasn’t triggered by listening to Destiny’s Child ‘Say My Name’ while drinking was it? Happens to me too, but once I get to the second syllable I’m toast.

What have you guys been saying??
I say ‘T. albos’, only way I can say it without butchering it. I tried to tell someone I had a Avicularia purpurea the other day and it came out so bad.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not all names are Latin. There’s been a trend lately in this sense.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I've seen this before; read through these threads: