scientific name or common name

death stinger

Arachnopeon
will you prefer calling your tarantula by the common name or you will call you pet tarantula by the scientific name?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scientific name.. The common names are just confusing.. Plus.. I dont really know common names.. When some people say I have an (insert common name)... Im like.. You have a what? Then I have to try & google it to find the scientific name..

*Edit* I just found out that the P. rufilata is also known as the Red Slate Ornimental.. What? I told you I dont know common names!

Last edited:

tarantulagooroo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with the scientific name, although the more common common names I will use sometimes. that is the best way I could put it lol

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Scientific name.
Scientific name.. The common names are just confusing.. Plus.. I dont really know common names.. When some people say I have an (insert common name)... Im like.. You have a what? Then I have to try & google it to find the scientific name..

*Edit* I just found out that the P. rufialata is also known as the Red Slate Ornimental.. What? I told you I dont know common names!
Diddo....

Peace!!!

thebugfreak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i use scientific names when i talk to other people in the hobby but when i educate little kids at church or talk to my friends who arent into inverts, i use common name because to them, the latin name of them is like a second language.

but i perfer scientific names over the common names. they are more accurate, and hey, they make you sound smarter. haha. :D

Arakatac

Arachnopeon
I use both depending upon the situation and the context, although "Brachypelma vagans" just sounds SO much sexier than "Mexican Red Rump," don't you agree?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Definitly scientific names. Common names are pointless. There are a few different texas browns and red rumps, and pink toes.

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use scientific names, but I have my cages labeled with both scientific and common names.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

*Edit* I just found out that the P. rufilata is also known as the Red Slate Ornimental.. What? I told you I dont know common names!
Never heard of that species before.
Better? ;P

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Scientific, but I label my cages with both for people who don't have any Ts.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I use both. but scientific comes first. I usually google the sci name to find out the common name. I think its good to know both just because the common name gives people an idea what ur talking bout. Not to mention its just good to know both so you dont have to google everytime. But it helps me remember what some of my small Ts look like when they will get bigger. especially some of the uncommon or unpopular ones. But sci names should always come first even if they are harder to remember.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used scientific when possible, but it's way easier to dumb it down to common names when talking to none tarantula people. Although the worst part is half the time I don't know what my T's common name is, lol.

Only ones I can remember of my own are chaco golden knee, OBT/orange baboon, pinktoe, & orange tree spider.

Thank goodness T. gigas is so easy to remember/pronounce. I refuse to refer to mine as "orange tree spider" to any none tarantula person because I don't like explaining how it's not a regular spider :rolleyes:

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Amongst knowledgeable people I use scientific names but when friends or co-workers drop by I just use common names . When I tell them proper names they always ask me "it's a what?" . They seem to be able to remember the common names more easily . However I have had many friends over the years take up the hobby and when they do I insist that we use scientific names when discussing our Ts .

death stinger

Arachnopeon
for me it depends if i memorize the scientific name of tarantulas i will call them by their scientific names but if not i may call them by their common names