School presentation

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ok , i have been asked to bring some bugs to a school and do a presentation about them.
I was asked to bring a few Tarantulas and some of my roaches and millipeded , centipedes and scorpions and what ever else i want to bring.

I will take my old G. rosea, and maybe another one, just not sure. maybe an Avic. but do oyu think it will stress the avic too much to take her over 100 miles away do a presentation and come back ?I dont think a bomb going off would stress the rosea lol
Also any suggestions on what info to give to grades K-3?

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As long as you keep her dark and as stationary as possible I believe she won't mind. Make sure she feels as though she has got a hide!

As for info that would depend, I don't have any idea what age grade K-3 students are.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
...Also any suggestions on what info to give to grades K-3?
K-3 ages are 5/6-8/9 yrs old, K I would just show it off to them, tell how its habitat is and show it under a UV flashlight "it Glows... Cool" tell how it gives birth. and just increase the depth of knowledge slightly as you go up, 3rd if you are allowed to open the cage, drop in some prey and see if it'll take it. All in all keep it basic and build excitement and wonder, so they may have the drive to become enthusiasts, entomologists, biologist or something.

<edit> you could take a print out of the care sheet for the specimens you bring in so they can have it to take home and say "I want one of these" to mom and dad...

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
K-3 ages are 5/6-8/9 yrs old, K I would just show it off to them, tell how its habitat is and show it under a UV flashlight "it Glows... Cool" tell how it gives birth. and just increase the depth of knowledge slightly as you go up, 3rd if you are allowed to open the cage, drop in some prey and see if it'll take it. All in all keep it basic and build excitement and wonder, so they may have the drive to become enthusiasts, entomologists, biologist or something.

<edit> you could take a print out of the care sheet for the specimens you bring in so they can have it to take home and say "I want one of these" to mom and dad...
lol what i am a bit afraid of is they may go out and try to catch some c. vitattus in thier yards lol
but i will explain to them if they do they will get probably stung and it will hurt lol

I assume that since i will have a centipede, a scorp and a tarantula i could begin by showing them an example of all three and ask them to guess which of these have species that have been KNOWN to be deadly.

I had a scorp molt last night and have a very nice intact excuvum to show off too. See how nice my bugs are , they are being very cooperative lol

dr_hemlock2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
good news

I for one, am glad you are doing this for the kids for their education on the real facts of arachnids and showing them examples and pointing out their good points and bad points you should as well as they enjoy this wayyy to muchhh but you should be patted on the back for furthering the knowledge of your kids for sure a knight for sure.
And by the way i love dragons "Zahsa" is doing well she is still getting used to her enclosure i figure i will try a roach on her Sunday and see if she is hungry.
Doc
:worship:

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
do what UCR entymology does. for handling, it's always a G.Rosea and P.Imperator. gives most inexperienced people a raw chill, but also shows them how docile they can be. make sure you've had those 2 arachnids docile for a while though. you don't want them unpredictably hurting someone. supervise closely.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
do what UCR entymology does. for handling, it's always a G.Rosea and P.Imperator. gives most inexperienced people a raw chill, but also shows them how docile they can be. make sure you've had those 2 arachnids docile for a while though. you don't want them unpredictably hurting someone. supervise closely.
i dotn think i want to put a any thing like that in the hands of 6-9 year olds lol
they will all be in the room together. wont be many kids i think 10 or so but ...
Maybe when regular clsses start back they will let me come back to show more kids

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i dotn think i want to put a any thing like that in the hands of 6-9 year olds lol
they will all be in the room together. wont be many kids i think 10 or so but ...
Maybe when regular clsses start back they will let me come back to show more kids
i think it would be completely fine. the only thing i would take into consideration would be kids who are allergic to bee stings. just get a really docile species that is used to being handled a lot. i would recommend either a G.Rosea or possibly an A.Avic.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i think it would be completely fine. the only thing i would take into consideration would be kids who are allergic to bee stings. just get a really docile species that is used to being handled a lot. i would recommend either a G.Rosea or possibly an A.Avic.
i took my big old rosea and my A metallica
they loved them
also an emp and some c. vitattus and a black light lol talk about WOWs lol