School Presentation

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ok , i have been asked to bring some bugs to a school and do a presentation about them.
I was asked to bring a few Tarantulas and some of my roaches and millipeded , centipedes and scorpions and what ever else i want to bring.

I will take my old G. rosea, and maybe another one, just not sure. maybe an Avic. but do oyu think it will stress the avic too much to take her over 100 miles away do a presentation and come back ?I dont think a bomb going off would stress the rosea lol
Also any suggestions on what info to give to grades K-3?
I will cross post this in the other sections as well.
thanks
Gary

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Na they should be fine. We ship them sometimes 100's to 1000's of miles and they make it. And if you are driving which I think you are that is even less of a stress. Just make sure they are no where near the window or where they can receive direct sunlight during the trip and you should be AOK.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Na they should be fine. We ship them sometimes 100's to 1000's of miles and they make it. And if you are driving which I think you are that is even less of a stress. Just make sure they are no where near the window or where they can receive direct sunlight during the trip and you should be AOK.
cover tehm wiht a blanket or something help?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya set them down maybe on the floorboards of the passenger seat or behind the driver’s seat. Thick blanket would do the trick. Just don't leave the car all sealed up ether with them in it. That would be two baked T's if you did that.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you might wanna get some 10+ gallon rubbermaid containers to store a few of the specimens. it would be a great way to keep them organized and prevent them shifting too much during the drive.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah i dont think that getting them there is going to be a big deal , just wasnt sure bout the avic, you know its rumored they die for no apparant reason and i didnt want to give it one lol

I am more concerned wiht material suitable for a k-3 graders
dont want them to go cool bugs what did you say?

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Start off with how they can jump 30' and kill with lazers that come out of their fangs, that'll put kindergardeners back in their place{D {D

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Start off with how they can jump 30' and kill with lazers that come out of their fangs, that'll put kindergardeners back in their place{D {D
hmmm they probably heard that from thier grandpa anyway lol

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A cooler would be my way to transport T’s... with a cool bottle of water or something in there. Not sure what the weather is like where you are though.

Good luck at the presentation I think it’s very admirable of you :clap: . Have fun!!

Steph

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When I have brought critters to my class I have found it best to keep it simple... I focus mainly on truth vs. myth and let the animals do most of the talking. The students will have many questions with quite a few that you probably aren't expecting so be prepared to think on the fly... Other than that just make sure the teachers stay close to maintain relative order... It isn't uncommon for teachers to disappear when someone comes for a presentation.... good luck!! :)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
When I have brought critters to my class I have found it best to keep it simple... I focus mainly on truth vs. myth and let the animals do most of the talking. The students will have many questions with quite a few that you probably aren't expecting so be prepared to think on the fly... Other than that just make sure the teachers stay close to maintain relative order... It isn't uncommon for teachers to disappear when someone comes for a presentation.... good luck!! :)
i think the teacher is more excited than the kids lol
but yeah i just dont know many myths about centipedes and tarantulas or scorpions other than T can jump 6 feet to the top of your head and can kill wiht a single bite.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well an example would be that some students will think that a "bird eater" only eats birds... Or that a bite from a tarantula is deadly... etc..

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well an example would be that some students will think that a "bird eater" only eats birds... Or that a bite from a tarantula is deadly... etc..
those are myths???? lol
i was thinking more along the line of how the tarantula spun a web and created teh universe type of myth
seems there was a south american myth of creation like that

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmm how to categorize everything, we have myths in the mythological sense and then we have myths like urban legends and of course facts. then you can throw in some conservation's attitude's where you please. I mean we shouldn't mess with the b. vagans in florida, they sexy up a state full of retirees and people that have trouble voting... or some such nonsense that kids won't get for another 8 years:}

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmm how to categorize everything, we have myths in the mythological sense and then we have myths like urban legends and of course facts. then you can throw in some conservation's attitude's where you please. I mean we shouldn't mess with the b. vagans in florida, they sexy up a state full of retirees and people that have trouble voting... or some such nonsense that kids won't get for another 8 years:}
maybe we should name all the vagans in florida "chad"

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well the presentation went well, and while i was there i was asked to do another one for another class. They also asked if i could come back in the fall and do some for the other schools during regular classes. She said they may even get it approved to pay me lol . Pretty cool to get paid to show off my pets lol
but hey id do it for free anyway, but if they offer ...

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I will be doing a spider presentation today for a kindergarten class. I just go through some of the myths and facts and the real excitement is when I handle the T's. The kids go wild. I have done about 20 or so of these and everyone has gone well. I bring 6 to 7 T's.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe we should name all the vagans in florida "chad"

ROFLMAO!!! {D {D {D i didn't think it was possible to laugh so hard this early in the morning - and i'm definitely NOT a morning person - but this just cracked me up for some reason!!!!! LOL Maybe because of my political party affiliation... LOL... Thanks for starting my day off with a great laugh!!!!

Glad to hear the presentation went well and you should go back - the kids probably love it. Seriously, i think it is great to start kids off with some appreciation (which comes through education especially with T's) for nature. jules

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
so what did you end up telling them?
not a lot really, just told them how a tarantula was differant than true spiders in simple terms and how noone has ever died from a bite. how some kick hairs for defense and how man is the tarantulas worst enemy by destoying habitat.

showed them a few diff tarantulas

then talked a bit about centipedes and scorps. showed them the scorps under black light.

of course talked about how spiders pedes and scorps help us by keeping insect numbers down.