Scattered Eggs

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well the plan was to take the egg sack from my G. rosea on April 1. Looks like she had other plans. I checked on her a few minutes ago and she'd broken the egg sack open and the eggs were scattered everywhere. I collected what I could, accidently broke a few, and have them in a make-shift incubator. The eggs are whiteish and still fluid filled.

Any comments, suggestions, advice would be appreciated. I've constructed the incubator from advice I've seen posted here before, I think it was LaRiz. I'm using a large deli with about 2" of moist peat in the bottom. The "sling" is a paper towel.

How do I go about caring for them now. Do I roll them daily in the sling?

Any other help would be ... well... helpful. What can I say? Some people have a way with words and some people... not have way.

Botar

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I meant to post the picture of the salvaged eggs.

Botar

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Botar,

Before you get too excited, you've got to consider WHY your Rosie opened her eggsac....The eggs were quite possibly infertile. And unless that's some peat moss I see mixed in w/ the eggs, those darker specks look like mold to me (this is bad).

If any of the eggs are brownish or black (even partially), remove them quickly and you may be able to salvage what's left, if they are indeed fertile to begin with.

On the bright side, the incubator you have looks great. Just remember to keep the vermiculite slightly damp, and don't disturb the eggs too much, other than rolling them around once a day, and don't let the paper towel get even the slightest bit damp. I've found that it's better to use something like a thin cloth napkin as the hammock, since paper towels are generally not sturdy enough, and will break if they accidentally get any moisture on them.

Try not to take the lid off of the deli dish, as too much ventiallation will dry the eggs out quickly.

That's the VERY short version, but I hope it was...well...helpful. :D lol

Please let me know if you need any more tips or advice. Feel free to email me or call me with any specific questions or concerns (you've got my numbers :) )

Flannery

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Flannery,

The brown specks are peat mixed in. I had to sweep the eggs up off the bottom of the enclosure. They are still plump and fluid filled as I accidently broke a couple trying to pick them up. There are a few egg shells (lack of a better term) mixed in that were from broken eggs. That is the yellowish stuff mixed in. I couldn't get it all out as it is stuck to viable eggs.

I know she was bred as I observed the breeding myself. Although I understand that doesn't necessarily mean they are fertile. The egg sack was constructed on March 7. I'm not sure how long infertile eggs will stay plump and fluid filled, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the input. I'll try to give you a call next week when my schedule slows a bit.

Botar

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good luck Botar.I wish i could write something here to help,
but Flannery said it better than i could anyways.

I've been there before and i had to wing it.nothing came of any of the eggs.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Botar,
If I was in your situation I'd put the eggs into a surrogate sac. Do you have an old sac about? It's worked for me in the past, but it will no doubt depend on how long the eggs have been gestating for. This should stop them drying out too much.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have no old sacks to use, but I like that idea. I'll just have to see if I can keep them going, but they've only been around for less than 3 weeks. We'll see what happens and I'll keep you posted.

Botar

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why do you guys use vermiculite for incubaters?

I would think perlite would make a much better substrate for this since it aids in distributing water into the air as opposed to vermiculite which pulls water out of the air.

just a thought from someone that practices mycology and uses both substances in his art :)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Devildoll
I would think perlite would make a much better substrate for this since it aids in distributing water into the air as opposed to vermiculite which pulls water out of the air.

just a thought from someone that practices mycology and uses both substances in his art :)
You have a good point here. I would imagine vermiculite is used because it's become one of the safe options for substrate and the thought has carried on from there. As you say, perlite will keep the air more humid, an absolute must if eggs are to make it. I think you may be onto something here.

My wife's into mycology too, fungus just doesn't appeal to me though, well kinda.

Cheers,
Steve

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanx.... i was debating sharing that info, cause i havn't tried it before... i'd hate to see a mis-hap. but it makes sense.

perlite is in a lot of peat moss that i buy... it's not unsafe for animals. safer than vermiculite i would say. not a good substrate for keeping spiders because of it's coursness, but safe.

Has anyone heard any followup on vermiculite possibly containing asbestos?

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Botar,

That is the same set up that I used ( per LaRiz) when my L. difficilis destroyed her sac. Some of her eggs were indeed fertile as I have a few rapidly growing spiderlings to show for it. Hopefully, this will prove to be the case with your situation.

Good luck,

John

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks to all. I've created a small artificial egg sack with a paper towel held together at the top with a paper clip. That way I'm hoping the eggs will not dry out and I can open it to view the eggs. I will gently turn the egg sack daily and keep you all posted as to the results.

Botar

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update

Today, during my daily egg check, I discovered I now have a surrogate paper towel sack with approximately 50+ "eggs with legs".

Now that I know they are developing, any suggestions from the experienced out there? Do I continue to "turn" the sack daily?

Botar

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a picture... I think they've just started emerging today.

Botar

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
Here's a picture... I think they've just started emerging today.

Botar
Alright Botar! Excellent :) The artificial surrogate sac worked!! Many congrats....

Steve

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good Job Botar!
You made the best out of a bad situation, congrats.!:D

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
BOTAR!!
CONGRATS!! I'm really happy for you! Keep me posted, ok?
Peace,
Gillian

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
fantastic....

Way to go Botar. :) I only wish the times I found eggs like that I would have gotten to them in time. Great for you man glad to see them hatching for ya.

Phil

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW, that's wonderful news. Huge congratulations, I'm so glad it worked.