Scared of Huntsmans but not Tarantulas

Cutespideys

Arachnopeon
Hey, I'm from Australia, canberra/sydney region. I'm not afraid of little spiders or tarantulas, in fact, I find pet tarantulas cute! But Huntsmans for some reason have always given me the creeps when we find them in the house. I wonder why, perhaps because they're so fast and look like crabs? xD I also stepped on one by accident when I was small lol

Anyone else feel similar? Not afraid of T's but other another spider type

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
lots of people feel that way. i was scared of house centipedes before i caught one and kept it for a while. maybe you should try the same.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I used to be afraid of very small house spiders and cellar spiders. Now, I have really studied them and it helped me get over the irrational fear ;) I would just keep one, their personality and ferocious appatites will have you loving them :D!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I think a lot of what makes it easier around tarantulas is that so many people have owned them which makes the unknowns fewer. Any insect where you don't know the facts will generally scare you more. I don't think we have the huntsman here but we have multiple varieties of jumping spiders and the crab spiders that I think are quite interesting. I wish I had spare time to catch a few of them because they would be very interesting to watch.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Huntsmans are scary not because they're creepy, they're scary for me because they'll be off at almost light speed and I'll lose it. Not exactly easy to keep track of.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Grass spiders still freak me out a bit. They are so quick, and their funnel webs are rather creepy.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Spiders no longer bother me or at least I feel like I understand them. I haven't seen any lately but I once lived in a house that had some Camel Crickets showing up randomly. They got to my nerves. They jump at you instead of away from you. They also make a nasty mess if you crush one of them.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Some Huntsman species are in the USA http://www.insectidentification.org/spiders.asp

@Cutespideys It is not uncommon for even Tarantula keepers to still be wary of True Spiders. Honestly, as a Tarantula keeper myself I still would jump back if all of the sudden I rounded a corner and an Araneus diadematus was starting at me. It is not because I hate them or anything (I like having them around the house) but it is an instinct to react that way.

As others have mentioned the speed of the Huntsmans is likely one reason for the wariness to kick in.

Heck even my B. smithi can give me a bit of a jump when she decides to teleport.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Well I for one don't think any spiders look scary, but some look scarier than others. The Hunstmen definitely are scarier than tarantulas. Tarantulas are proportioned in a cuter way, with relatively short stubby legs and big chubby bodies, while Huntsmen have long gangly Slenderman-looking legs.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Well I for one don't think any spiders look scary, but some look scarier than others. The Hunstmen definitely are scarier than tarantulas. Tarantulas are proportioned in a cuter way, with relatively short stubby legs and big chubby bodies, while Huntsmen have long gangly Slenderman-looking legs.

lol Slenderman legs. Never thought of it that way before. Slenderspider .

Hey do you think Sparassidae might have been the basis (or one of the basis) for Slenderman?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
lol Slenderman legs. Never thought of it that way before. Slenderspider .

Hey do you think Sparassidae might have been the basis (or one of the basis) for Slenderman?
didn't Slenderman have octopus tentacles before they changed it to spider legs? I never played any of the games but I remember everyone being disappointed with that update. I thought it was scarier with the tentacles.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I'm not afraid of either t's or huntsmen, but I am certainly more wary around huntsmen.