Sc. galapagoensis, just sayin

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WOW!!
These are so impressive!!

I had the chance to purchase one two years ago, but hesitated due to price : (
Two days later I was ready to bite and it was gone!

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I may be able to import these in the near future for those of you that are interested....

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lol they really are, they'd get a lot of attention at reptile/invert shows. Hey Josh, I'm looking forward to you getting some pics of the local pede giants! When you find galapos, I'm curious to see how they look compared to the relatively few that were imported here a little less than two years ago, they may look a little diff there where you are. Since they are there and you still haven't seen any, well that makes me think that we need to esp keep them going here if they are kind of hard to come across even in their natural range. I mean I bet they are common there but still might be hard to find, it's that way for a lot of animals. What kind of reports have you heard from the locals about these pedes?, anything? As far as breeding goes, seems pretty easy but I might type up what I've seen later. But I think it's basically here already lol, really it's basically like heros pedes and most other pede breeding reports here.

Lurchenstien

Arachnosquire
They look great. I'm relatively new to 'pedes, got a couple of smaller species for the time being, but I'd love to get one of these some time down the line.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are a little different. They plings can eat full grown crickets now. Just to see what would happen, I dropped an adult dubia in one of the delis. That pling rode the back of that roach and ate the whole thing. The adult female molted earlier, looks bulkier, esp. bigger head. I didn't feed her for a while, she just now ate two fuzzies, no leftovers. I plan to have her mate again and so, I guess I'll try to get plings from her as well. I'm not one to feed fuzzies to pedes but I wouldn't be surprised if these climb trees and steal baby birds out of nests. I let them walk around the back yard and they tend to want to climb a tree if they come across one. I was going to try to make the pede chase the thawed mouse I had in tongs but, it grabbed it way too fast.

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Plings enjoying adult dubia, full grown enjoying not one but TWO fuzzies!
So impressive, and exciting.
Would love to get one.

Are they slower than scolependra subspinipes?
I'd be afraid to set my subspinipes out in the garden because I doubt I could catch again.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They slow down as they get bigger. But when they are young they are faster than subspinipes. They can move fast when they are big too, but I think they don't need to as much because they are pretty well armed by then, I think more things would leave them alone. Then there's gravity they have to deal with as they get bigger. The young ones though, they are crazy acting, flopping around when disturbed and biting anything they run into. I've had several bolt out of the delis as I'm trying to feed. Just yesterday 3 got out while I was trying to feed them, I need to solve that problem, deeper big delis would do it but would take up a lot of room. Last night, one bolted out and ran behind the desk. Instead of losing it, ransacking the desk and flipping it over like I did last time, I calmly sat in a chair next to the door with a headlamp on with lights out. I just sat there and watched each end of the heavy metal desk, waiting for it to come out somewhere. Finally after about 20 minutes of sweating there in that chair, I decided to get something to drink. I got up, turned around and there it was behind my chair! I tried to grab it but it ran into the closet. Then I moved the stuff it ran over and it wasn't there, these things are freaking me out. Then I looked at the other end of the closet and there it was crawling up the wall.

Just had an over-night Fire ant attack in the bug room, 7 killed. I found the nest outside though.

Last edited:

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They slow down as they get bigger. But when they are young they are faster than subspinipes. They can move fast when they are big too, but I think they don't need to as much because they are pretty well armed by then, I think more things would leave them alone. Then there's gravity they have to deal with as they get bigger.

Finally after about 20 minutes of sweating there in that chair, I decided to get something to drink. I got up, turned around and there it was behind my chair! I tried to grab it but it ran into the closet. Then I moved the stuff it ran over and it wasn't there, these things are freaking me out. Then I looked at the other end of the closet and there it was crawling up the wall.
That's good to know, the first time I saw one at a bug fair I could not believe my eyes as the top of the container was removed and the specimen was shown to me.
I was freaked out and amazed at the same time. I couldn't believe how big it was, and how impressive it looked. I must of asked to see it 5-6 times to see it, but in the end the price seemed a bit too high. I decided to call back a few days later and it was gone.

I can't imagine trying to rustle these guys when they get lose. Since they are faster than subspinipes, can climb, curl, and slide under a crack it must get interesting. LOL on your little adventure, headlamp and all.

Good luck breeding and raising them.
If you decide to sell PM, I'll buy one or two.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the cat looks very interested in what they are doing,and keeping a good distance aswell:)

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That pede next to the cat looks HUGE! Luckily the cat didnt decide it was a play toy!