Sc. galapagoensis, just sayin

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hahaha..... very funny.... If that were the case, I would have picked a better place than Lima :p

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Whoa, I just went to googleEarth to take a look at Lima, that place is huge!, really cool mountains to the east, did you see those haha, must look amazing. If you moved there, you will surely see some cool stuff eventually, hope you get some pics. I'll post pics after the next molts, I have a feeling there will be a big difference after the next molt, I might even be able to sex them out. I already saw one moving dirt around like it was getting ready.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah Lima is huge... the 4th largest city in Latin America and holds over half of Peru´s population. The mountains to the east are the Andes Mts. They come right to the ocean. I took a long trip into the Andes and just got back the other day. It was pretty cool seeing all the transitions in habitat and seeing how the people live there.

Nice work on the pedes man. This is definitely a species that needs to be worked with more often.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've wanted to go there, took Spanish but never did pick it up very well so I've always felt uncomfortable with the idea of doing something like that. Anyway, I remembered to take a look at the mandibles of an adult that recently molted to compare to other pics in this thread(pg 3), interesting enough to look at imo.

Last edited:

RyanW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This thread hit my FB page through Reptile Report. I need to get into the centipede section more often. So many great pictures!! Congrats on the babies!

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
i want i want. i was supposed to get one from a breeder like 2 weeks ago but he never got any in :(

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can see how people might say, "I want to get babies but I don't want my female to get eaten.." You get +-100 and only lose one! I say go ahead and do it! And they grow fast, it's not logical thinking to think of losing the female, works in nature, knows better than we do. OK they are already molting again, ..well just one haha, but of course the others will follow soon. Look at the size now, that's pretty fast compared to other sps I'm familiar with. It's still a little soft, won't bite, it would risk damage, that's why I decided to hold it for size reference, I don't have giant hands though. I still don't plan to sell any atm, too hot anyway, maybe in Fall after a cool down.

follow up pic taken about an hour later;

Last edited:

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I could get my hand on a breeding pair of these... oh man. I love seeing these guys grow!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow. they are growing nicely,and yeah they are growing fast. veddy nice:)

Msh

Arachnosquire
I didn't realize how big they were getting until now. I would say they're as big or bigger than all but one of the centipedes I have haha

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:biggrin:

Very, very nice Todd. I don't blame you one bit for hanging on to all of them. I can patiently wait for the next generation!!

David

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I plan to sell this generation sooner or later, many of them anyway, I just don't know when. The other female is under again, just going to let nature do it's thing this time, not going to try what I tried earlier. So she is probably either ready to molt or about to lay eggs again. Then I would sell many of these I already have because they are bigger and easier for people to take care of. They are at a more interesting size, easier to feed and see you know. Also, by Fall, or maybe even now, I might be able to sex them out and sell people a pair if they want one. Or sell only a male or only a female. It could be that the males tend to get bigger since the females appear to get eaten by the offspring, not lasting long in that sense. I don't know, maybe I shouldn't even go there and speculate but I had 3 males and 2 females, the males were/are a little bigger than the females over here. Not enough in numbers to conclude a trend there though, that's for sure. Both females did have shorter antennae than the males too, don't know if that's a trend either but maybe something to keep in mind. But hey man!, these ARE pretty cool, best pede I've had, it's how big they are that is interesting to me but I know that's not everybody's interest. I wonder what they taste like if you fried one up. It looks like they would make 6 or 7 good bites, ...a little rice and gravy, might make a meal lol. I think I will make a vid of their defensive behavior, they sometimes take a stance like Heterometrus scorpions do.

Msh

Arachnosquire
Always cool to hear more about these awesome pedes. I'd love to see a video

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would love to see a video of their defensive stance. I love it when some of my S. dehaani pedelings strike a defensive pose with their terminal legs sticking up and head raised.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I couldn't get that defensive response again. Just an update on the growth of these, they are molting again so most will be between 3 and 4 inches within a couple of weeks. I 'carefully' picked up this one after a molt to show the size, I don't recommend it though. Also one of the adults molted again, it didn't grow much but got much more bulky around the head area, really impressive looking pede imo, it was the female btw. I'm going to see if she will mate at least once more later and then try to get plings from her. Maybe since she is a little bigger she might produce more eggs.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
friggin sweet Todd!! These are cool pedes! I hope to find some in the wild!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Man those things are growing like weeds! Ill give you $1 if you reach in and grab that penny :).

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I plan to sell this generation sooner or later, many of them anyway, I just don't know when. The other female is under again, just going to let nature do it's thing this time, not going to try what I tried earlier. So she is probably either ready to molt or about to lay eggs again. Then I would sell many of these I already have because they are bigger and easier for people to take care of. They are at a more interesting size, easier to feed and see you know. Also, by Fall, or maybe even now, I might be able to sex them out and sell people a pair if they want one. Or sell only a male or only a female. It could be that the males tend to get bigger since the females appear to get eaten by the offspring, not lasting long in that sense. I don't know, maybe I shouldn't even go there and speculate but I had 3 males and 2 females, the males were/are a little bigger than the females over here. Not enough in numbers to conclude a trend there though, that's for sure. Both females did have shorter antennae than the males too, don't know if that's a trend either but maybe something to keep in mind. But hey man!, these ARE pretty cool, best pede I've had, it's how big they are that is interesting to me but I know that's not everybody's interest. I wonder what they taste like if you fried one up. It looks like they would make 6 or 7 good bites, ...a little rice and gravy, might make a meal lol. I think I will make a vid of their defensive behavior, they sometimes take a stance like Heterometrus scorpions do.
A confirmed male and female with written directions on how to breed them would be awesome...I would consider investing the money if there was a fairly good chance I could get another generation. : )