Sazimai Blue temperament?

FatherOfTheSpider

Arachnopeon
Hi guys new here to the forum and boy am I glad to have found a place to share my love of these beautiful creatures. I got my first T nearly 3 years ago a beautiful Mexican red knee and I’m really fascinated by the Sazimai blue. I have done some research but there isn’t much out there on this species could anyone shed some ligh on there temperament as well as housing them?
Much appreciated :)

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I'm not an expert by any means but I could share my experiences with mine.

I have had it a few months. The t is a juvie. Mine seems extremely bolty but not super defensive. I have seen ones that are really defensive though. I would prefer it to be more defensive less bolty. Would make chores a lot easier.

It seems obsessed with water and dumps it's dish, fills it with mud and flips it over. I had to replace the dish because it bit holes in it lol. :)

It is the one t i have that I need to take some precautions with. But I really like the little one. Mine has a not great feeding response though. It avidly attacks water and its dish but is pretty lazy with food. It does eat but I never see the strike.

If considering this species I would reccomended this vid and other TM vids on the species

I don't know how I am gonna deal with rehouses for the P saz but I do enjoy its funny little antics. :) Just remember that they are much faster than beginner level NW's and may threat posture and stuff. Mine never has but it is really bolty!

FatherOfTheSpider

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much for your insight and experience with this species ☺ I have read they are some what similar to the gbb in terms of behaviour. I didn’t think they threw the threat posture as much. Still considering to get one though but will do my research a bit more it’s either a GBB or P Saz still torn between the two either way there really beautiful. I do hope your little guy calms down seems like a lot of startling lol.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Welcome aboard...great to hear from a fellow enthusiast.

I'm in the roughly the same boat as you. I can share what I've read and gleaned through private discussions.

I currently have 8 slings on order, waiting fro weather conditions to change so that they can be overnighted. I must say that I cannot wait to get them in and begin working with them.

So in a year I'll a lot of first hand experience with multiple specimens of the same species.

Currently I'm raising 5 GGB slings...they were about 3/4 inch to an 1inch when I got them. They are pushing 1 1/4 +/- at the moment. Very nice species, but yeah...still little slings.

FatherOfTheSpider

Arachnopeon
Wow 8 seems like a lot to me but I’ve only just got into the hobby that’s probably a small scale for some of the enthusiast out there lol. Really hope they turn out to be some awesome Ts! Keep me posted :)

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Thank you so much for your insight and experience with this species ☺ I have read they are some what similar to the gbb in terms of behaviour. I didn’t think they threw the threat posture as much. Still considering to get one though but will do my research a bit more it’s either a GBB or P Saz still torn between the two either way there really beautiful. I do hope your little guy calms down seems like a lot of startling lol.
I definitely got my share of jump scares at first. Now I find it almost comical ( while the lid is on the enclosure). "You did what!?!?! :eek::rolleyes:" "Now I'm gonna have to....(insert needless chore here) " "Aaarrrggghhhh!"

Tbh I do most of my chores through the airholes like flipping and digging dirt out of water dish, feeding mealworms etc. Only time I open the lid is for retrieving water dishes for cleaning or that have holes in them or uneaten feeders.

I named mine P s(p)az for a reason!

Love gbb as well. Just don't own one yet. Good luck with your choice! If you can deal with the speed then you can't really go wrong either way!

FatherOfTheSpider

Arachnopeon
I definitely got my share of jump scares at first. Now I find it almost comical ( while the lid is on the enclosure). "You did what!?!?! :eek::rolleyes:" "Now I'm gonna have to....(insert needless chore here) " "Aaarrrggghhhh!"

Tbh I do most of my chores through the airholes like flipping and digging dirt out of water dish, feeding mealworms etc. Only time I open the lid is for retrieving water dishes for cleaning or that have holes in them or uneaten feeders.

I named mine P s(p)az for a reason!

Love gbb as well. Just don't own one yet. Good luck with your choice! If you can deal with the speed then you can't really go wrong either way!
Lol haha that made laugh. They do seem like a very skittish species not sure how I’d react I still sometimes jump when my red knee darts quickly across the enclosure lol. Still deciding what to go with will hopefully make a decision soon. :)

Minty

@londontarantulas
Hi guys new here to the forum and boy am I glad to have found a place to share my love of these beautiful creatures. I got my first T nearly 3 years ago a beautiful Mexican red knee and I’m really fascinated by the Sazimai blue. I have done some research but there isn’t much out there on this species could anyone shed some ligh on there temperament as well as housing them?
Much appreciated :)
I keep mine on bone dry substrate, occasionally overflowing the water dish, and a cork bark hide.

Mine is slightly skittish but generally docile if undisturbed. Has thrown up a couple of threat postures too, but only when disturbed (opening the lid or dropping food in). Have never seen mine flick hair. Great species to keep and a decent eater. Decent growth rate, and under a light, the colour is breathtaking.
41368083-87E3-4C6C-8730-B1B055AB87FB.jpeg

FatherOfTheSpider

Arachnopeon
I keep mine on bone dry substrate, occasionally overflowing the water dish, and a cork bark hide.

Mine is slightly skittish but generally docile if undisturbed. Has thrown up a couple of threat postures too, but on when disturbed (opening the lid or dropping food in). Have never seen mine flick hair. Great species to keep and a decent eater. Decent growth rate, and under a light, the colour is breathtaking.
View attachment 330565
Wow she is truly beautiful you are lucky!
Thanks for the info and insight into keeping these species, I have read there quite skittish. Will do some more research it’s either the P Sazimai or the GBB.
Thank you :)

Brachyfan

Deactivated account

Mine is slightly skittish but generally docile if undisturbed. Has thrown up a couple of threat postures too, but only when disturbed (opening the lid or dropping food in). Have never seen mine flick hair. Great species to keep and a decent eater. Decent growth rate, and under a light, the colour is breathtaking.
View attachment 330565
Whats up @Minty! Did you get yours as a sling? I have heard of some Ts that are crazy bolty as slings and calm down when they get some size.

Lol haha that made laugh. They do seem like a very skittish species not sure how I’d react I still sometimes jump when my red knee darts quickly across the enclosure lol. Still deciding what to go with will hopefully make a decision soon. :)
My red knee sub adult moves so infrequently that I have to tap the cage sometimes. Or it will dart when I am retrieving a dish. It can be unsettling sometimes. But thats because it is very infrequent. The sazimai is always moving so I just got used to it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Minty

@londontarantulas
Wow she is truly beautiful you are lucky!
Thanks for the info and insight into keeping these species, I have read there quite skittish. Will do some more research it’s either the P Sazimai or the GBB.
Thank you :)
Get both.

3189C8E2-8905-4BCB-9B26-9FEFDCF9DF41.jpeg
A mature male I had.

Whats up @Minty! Did you get yours as a sling? I have heard of some Ts that are crazy bolty as slings and calm down when they get some size.
No, got her as a young adult female. Have never had this species as a sling.

Some do calm down but it can vary for every T, in my experience.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The #1 and #2 most defensive specimens of my 61 tarantulas are my male and female P. sazimai. They threat pose everything. They threat pose so hard that they fall over backwards and continue to do it while on their backs. They were very photosensitive as slings, only coming out at night, but they didn't get this nasty until they hit about 3.5 inches DLS.

That's just my experience. 2 specimens is a small sample size, so maybe most of them are docile. I don't know.

FatherOfTheSpider

Arachnopeon
Get both.

View attachment 330568
A mature male I had.

He’s awesome man! Not sure I’m ready just yet to get both maybe in the future! But wow your gbb’s colours are just something else

The #1 and #2 most defensive specimens of my 61 tarantulas are my male and female P. sazimai. They threat pose everything. They threat pose so hard that they fall over backwards and continue to do it while on their backs. They were very photosensitive as slings, only coming out at night, but they didn't get this nasty until they hit about 3.5 inches DLS.

That's just my experience. 2 specimens is a small sample size, so maybe most of them are docile. I don't know.
I have heard from a few others they are very defensive. Any experience with GBB’s? Do they raise the threat position as much?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Kinda skittish, photosensitive at smaller sizes, heard of people getting defensive ones though I've never had any threat postures from mine. They're surprisingly quick for a slow growing terrestrial species.

View media item 61664

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have heard from a few others they are very defensive. Any experience with GBB’s? Do they raise the threat position as much?
I have never gotten a threat pose from my adult female GBB. She is a little skittish and fast, but not defensive.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My P. sazimai is still a sling, so it's too soon to evaluate its temperament.

My GBB was somewhat skittish, but as long as I didn't disturb him, I could observe him on a regular basis. He never flicked hairs at me, and he had a great feeding response.

Minty

@londontarantulas
He’s awesome man! Not sure I’m ready just yet to get both maybe in the future! But wow your gbb’s colours are just something else

I have never seen or even heard of a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens threat posture. They have a tendency to flick hairs though. Imo, everyone should have a C.cyaneopubescens.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Get both.

View attachment 330568
A mature male I had.

Thanks for the reply! Hope mine does calm down!

My P. sazimai is still a sling, so it's too soon to evaluate its temperament.

My GBB was somewhat skittish, but as long as I didn't disturb him, I could observe him on a regular basis. He never flicked hairs at me, and he had a great feeding response.
How big is your sling?

I had a question too. My P saz is still that kind of beige colour at around 2.5 inch dls. Anyone know at what size would it start showing some colours? Every other juvie species i own is showing full adult colours by this time. I want my blue spider dang it! (Lol just kidding. But I would like to know).

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My female is quite defensive, lots of threat postures. Male not so much.

Thanks for the reply! Hope mine does calm down!

How big is your sling?

I had a question too. My P saz is still that kind of beige colour at around 2.5 inch dls. Anyone know at what size would it start showing some colours? Every other juvie species i own is showing full adult colours by this time. I want my blue spider dang it! (Lol just kidding. But I would like to know).
Can you post a pic? Mine were definitely noticeably blue (especially with a flash) by 2”....

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have read they are some what similar to the gbb in terms of behaviour.
I'd say they're behavior is most similar to Nhandus (heavy flickers and don't be surprised if they threat pose from time to time) and they are quite fast for a NW terrestrial.
If you get slings they start out very small and are medium-slow growers.
I've got 5, a pair of sub-adults that I've bought as sexed juvies and 3 that I've grown from slings. The slings have good feeding response the other two are quite picky eaters.
From what I've read they are easy to breed and have farily large sacks so prices have dropped significantly here in Europe over the past 2-3 years.