Sanitizing/Cleaning driftwood.

Loaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a couple pieces of driftwood I collected and want to put it in my Avic's terrarium. What is the best way to clean/sanitize it? I dont want to use Chemicals, such as bleach. I've heard boiling it and then baking it in the oven? Any sugestions?:confused: :) :confused:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a couple pieces of driftwood I collected and want to put it in my Avic's terrarium. What is the best way to clean/sanitize it? I dont want to use Chemicals, such as bleach. I've heard boiling it and then baking it in the oven? Any sugestions?:confused: :) :confused:
Well, a 10% bleach solution would do a good job killing anything on the surface. Just apply and let it air dry. That or place it in the oven at 200 degrees for 3 hours. That will definitly kill anything living on or in it.

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ive always used the microwave for about 30 secs. anything in there for more than 10 secs is dead anyways so the extra 20 makes sure they are dead.

demicheru

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
microwave is fine - just make sure there is not too much water in the wood or you run the risk of starting a fire in your microwave.

30 seconds should not be long enough to actually catch the wood on fire, but depending on the type of wood, and what may be living inside it, it could get very stinky.

Loaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Seriously, microwave for 30 seconds?:? Wow, that just seems too easy. How stinky will it get?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
boiling and baking will definitely kill everything. even if you choose to do only one of those methods for 30min. it should kill anything on the driftwood.

eman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why bother? What are you trying to kill? The only two things that I have seen kill a t are nematodes and scuttle/phorid flies... both of those do not live on drift wood. I've used all sorts of wood/bark/leaves and organic materials without sterilizing any of it, simply because there's not point. Many years later and no ill effects, further confirms this.

Samuel D. Marshall (one of the highlight guest speakers of this coming Arachnocon) provides a very clear explanation of this in his book "Tarantulas and other Arachnids" (both revisions) - see the section on "substrates".

Cheers,

Emmanuel

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Emmanuel, i'm using natural substrate, different kind of natural hides, and never had any problems.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i use some bark,logs ive found outside in my tanks.i usually just let them dry out good before use.one thing u should watch out for that can be harmful to your spiders is ants!u dont wanna introduce a colony of ants in with your tarantula hehe

mischaaussems

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I never sterelise materials I use. I collect all sorts of things in the woods. Pieces of wood, stones, leaves etc. I started thinking about it when I read this post. If you heat materials to sterelise them can you also freeze them? It's easy to put something in the freezer for say a day or so........

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why bother? What are you trying to kill? The only two things that I have seen kill a t are nematodes and scuttle/phorid flies... both of those do not live on drift wood. I've used all sorts of wood/bark/leaves and organic materials without sterilizing any of it, simply because there's not point. Many years later and no ill effects, further confirms this.

Samuel D. Marshall (one of the highlight guest speakers of this coming Arachnocon) provides a very clear explanation of this in his book "Tarantulas and other Arachnids" (both revisions) - see the section on "substrates".

Cheers,

Emmanuel
Good point Emmanuel! Question answered, Thanks!