sandy scorpions

pinchythescorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
is it ok if sand gets stuck to the scorpions legs? Cause my scorpions tank fogs up and the scorpion trys to climb up the glass and get water on its legs is there any way to prevent this?

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i bet desert type dont need water, btw. what scorp are you keeping?

pinchythescorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i bet desert type dont need water, btw. what scorp are you keeping?
its a australian desert scopion urodacus yaschenkoi and this guy called mark newton (he is an expert on australian scorpions) told me i should put 20ml of water into every 1kg/2.7lbs of sand i have in the tank

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do you have a screen type top? I bet you will need to increase your ventilation if the tank is fogging up

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you just set it up there may be exess moisture.. but Brian is right (shocking!) if you have moisture issues the top to your enclosure should be the answer to you problems.

pinchythescorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
can the sand thats stuck an the scorpion actually harm it the sand is on the end of the tail the legs and the pincers

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont think it will do much damage in the short term.. perhaps if it wasa like that for an extended period of time it could be an issue.. but Im sure your scorp will be okay in the meantime till things dry out a bit.

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dude go out and get a screen lid. I've read if you put a non desert scorpion in a sand enclosure it will wear down the exoskeleton so be careful

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do what he says and get a screen lid or your scorp is gonna die!!

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know pinchythescorp, don't you think your expert friend meant that you should dampen your sand at a ratio of 20ml/1kg sand with water.......and then wait for it to dry before introducing the scorpion.
The idea being that as the water evaporated it would consolidate the sand (make it stiff) so that your Urodacus yaschenkoi could dig a burrow....

Don't know if you've read it but i found what appears to be a decent caresheet for this species..

http://www.thedailylink.com/thespiralburrow/features/keeping.html

Last edited:

pinchythescorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know pinchythescorp, don't you think your expert friend meant that you should dampen your sand at a ratio of 20ml/1kg sand with water.......and then wait for it to dry before introducing the scorpion.
The idea being that as the water evaporated it would consolidate the sand (make it stiff) so that your Urodacus yaschenkoi could dig a borrow
But he also said that urodacus yaschenkoi use osmosis to get moisture from the sand and Mark Newton wrote that care sheet scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll see his name.

Last edited:

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
a little bit of sand is not going to hurt your scorpion, if you provide a small water dish it will probably be able to clean itself off...