Sand for Tarantulas

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Clay: as mentioned, from a sand pit. It's a postglacial fluvial/dune sand deposit from a later stage of the last ice age in our area. It has clay/silt lenses in it, which I took with me. You can also buy clay powder in bags here where I live, in different colours.

I washed the sand and baked the clay. Which was quite a nuisance actually, since it got so hard that I had to crush the lumps with a hammer to get my clay powder. Mixing the substrate worked well after that.

As for sanitizing: well, if you think coco fibre or indeed any substrate you buy for whatever amount of money, creates a sanitized environment, you are much mistaken. "Life, uh, finds a way" - Dr. Ian Malcolm.
If you bake the stuff, most macroscopic life in there will die (like small beetles, centipedes, whatever. The rest you need not worry about, especially in a GBB enclosure, which is too dry for most higher lifeforms anyway. Most keepers here don't even bother with baking the soil, because the vast majority of life in the soil is actually beneficial for a clean substrate environment.
Man-made contaminants, like pesticides or other chemicals are the only concern. That's why I recommended a long walk. Deep enough into a forest that you're far away from, e.g. intensive agriculture.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Why are you complicating soo much...

You only need clay based substrate from any garden store. Not baked clay balls mixed with unicorn powder... etc. 😂

Also you can use zoomed excavator. It's a pre mixed clay, sand and substrate mix for reptiles.

Or: take the clay soil add water, mix it with your desired substrate, in my case topsoil and let it dry.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Clay: as mentioned, from a sand pit. It's a postglacial fluvial/dune sand deposit from a later stage of the last ice age in our area. It has clay/silt lenses in it, which I took with me. You can also buy clay powder in bags here where I live, in different colours.

I washed the sand and baked the clay. Which was quite a nuisance actually, since it got so hard that I had to crush the lumps with a hammer to get my clay powder. Mixing the substrate worked well after that.

As for sanitizing: well, if you think coco fibre or indeed any substrate you buy for whatever amount of money, creates a sanitized environment, you are much mistaken. "Life, uh, finds a way" - Dr. Ian Malcolm.
If you bake the stuff, most macroscopic life in there will die (like small beetles, centipedes, whatever. The rest you need not worry about, especially in a GBB enclosure, which is too dry for most higher lifeforms anyway. Most keepers here don't even bother with baking the soil, because the vast majority of life in the soil is actually beneficial for a clean substrate environment.
Man-made contaminants, like pesticides or other chemicals are the only concern. That's why I recommended a long walk. Deep enough into a forest that you're far away from, e.g. intensive agriculture.
sadly theres not many places near me that are far way from people cities, and everyone seems to have forgotten about the ongoing pandemic so im being more caution about going out, but it would be fun to drive out to the mojave (theres a few tarantula species that live there as well) where no body is and just collect sand.

20200614_150145.jpg 20200614_150201.jpg
20200614_150150.jpg
Heres some dirt from my backyard that is about the texture im going for. Though Im not sure if it has pesticides on it.

Why are you complicating soo much...

You only need clay based substrate from any garden store. Not baked clay balls mixed with unicorn powder... etc. 😂

Also you can use zoomed excavator. It's a pre mixed clay, sand and substrate mix for reptiles.

Or: take the clay soil add water, mix it with your desired substrate, in my case topsoil and let it dry.
yeah, I just want to be sure im using the right stuff.

Ill probably just use a mix of the fine sand I have, dry excavator, and peat or coco fiber.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
oh what if i just use vermiculite instead
Vermiculite keeps moisture, it's the opposite that you need.

Bought a zoomed excavator, or take some substrate from mohave. Be sure that is free of pesticides etc, looking that they are no farms nearby.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Vermiculite keeps moisture, it's the opposite that you need.

Bought a zoomed excavator, or take some substrate from mohave. Be sure that is free of pesticides etc, looking that they are no farms nearby.
I wouldnt water it, and do you mean straight excavator?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Vermiculite won't compact. The substrate will be too loose

Cas S

Arachnoknight

rediscovered this channel, is this the kind of mix you guys where talking about?

Dorifto

He who moists xD

rediscovered this channel, is this the kind of mix you guys where talking about?
Yes, it's called zoomed excavator or trixie reptisand. You mix it with water and a little bit of topsoil, let it dry, and you will get a pretty natural looking dry substrate.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Yes, it's called zoomed excavator or trixie reptisand. You mix it with water and a little bit of topsoil, let it dry, and you will get a pretty natural looking dry substrate.
ok thanks, ill use this if i can find any excavator.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
ok i got some excavator, ill be doing a few tests to see which mix i like best

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I prefer it with topsoil, more natural looking imho.

Sorry I'm s topsoil fan guy hahahaha 😂😂😂

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
I'll be honest, many great suggestions. Yet you 're on the right track with your original post, the only thing wrong was the percentage.
Instead of 50/50, I would go with 20/80.
20% - Sand
80% - Coco/Peat mix

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I preffer how it keeps the humidity comparing to the coco fiber. But that's personal, both will work fine.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
I preffer how it keeps the humidity comparing to the coco fiber. But that's personal, both will work fine.
yeah cause gbbs like it dry, id rather save the peat i have for more humid species, but thanks for the info!