sand around emperor scorpion stinger with images

ashton87

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone i will make it short
I have an emperor scorpion since 2 months ago and 2 days ago just had his first meal which is a very tiny frozen mice and today i found like a sand around his stinger and i could not remove it. actually i barely tried to remove it ,i wont take the risk before your advices, I have no experience with scorpions, is it normal ?
temps around 26 to 29 C degree
humidity around 55 to 70 %
substrate soft coconut fiber

pictures can talk my scorpion situation IMG-4365.JPG IMG-4364.JPG IMG-4363.JPG

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
The spot with the sand it actually where he has his anus, looks like your scorpion has diarrhea.
Dried up scorpion feces is normally a white(ish) color.
If it is indeed sand on it's anus then you might want to put suitable substrate in the enclosure, this species is normally kept on dark soil and coco fibre.
50/50 mix will probably do, some other users prefer 30/70 mix. You can also add spagnum moss which makes it easier to keep up the humidity of the substrate.
Feed him roaches, crickets or grasshoppers. Use small mice only as a last resort if previous mentioned feeders are not available.
Dealing with the issue: your scorpion could use a bath to soak that stuff off the telson.
Put a bath in the enclosure, one that he can climb out of, putting in some rocks can make it easier for him.
If he does not use the bath himself in the coming night, then maybe gently try to put him in there.
Make sure the water is at ambient (enclosure) temperature. Don't worry, your scorpion won't drown.
They can be submerged for several minutes.

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
I agree with the advice above, and I have nothing to add there. Just wanted to mention that that is not an emperor scorpion, it looks like some heterometrus species, although that doesn't change any of the care advice since they are so similar.

ashton87

Arachnopeon
thank you a lot for the advice Lubed tweezer so bath and health food such as mealworm roaches, crickets etc.. it will work,
but i am surprised because its not an emperor scorpion I bought it from the pet shop as emperor scorpion :/ !!! what is the different between Heterometrus and Pandinus? are they have the same size ?
i told ya I have no idea about scorpions but i would like to learn

thank you guyz

ashton87

Arachnopeon
here are more clear images of my scorpion please make sure what kind it is, because if it is not emperor scorpion i'm going to the pet shop again to exchange with emperor scorpion because i really desire emperor scorpion

Attachments

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
Regarding the differences between the two. I believe AFS are a bit more active, more defensive (and thus more prone to pinching and/or stinging) and slightly smaller. So usually comes down to personal preference on whether you'd like to handle them or want something more active in the tank to watch. The biggest thing though is the price difference, with emperors being significantly (2 to 3 times) more expensive. If they charged you emperor prices for an AFS then you got ripped off.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
What you have here is a Heterometrus Petersii and a crafty salesman.
Petersii prices are €10-25 in my area. Pandinus Emperator €100+
But I've heard the Emperator being cheaper priced in the US ? More like 50-90US$ ??

ashton87

Arachnopeon
I am a bit disappointed and also I paid for it 55 euro the price of emperor scorpion, the AFS price is 25 to 30 euro, but i guess the pet shop i got from are no professional, maybe the didn't know, I'll print the picture to show them the difference and when i get the new emperor i will post it here again to also make sure it is the right one, thanks to all of you, without you guys i wouldn't know

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
That is a Heterometrus spp. Not Pandinus.

The "sand" is impacted fecal matter on its anus.

Please do not feed your Scorpion vertebrates like mice.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
that will be poop on the tail (the anus is before the telson). Its probably pooped like that due to being fed a mouse. They're better off being fed insects (crickets etc). After a meal like that it can happily go without eating for over a month! Like others have said on here, scorpy could do with a bath to get rid of that poop!