san antonio, FL 41st annual rattlesnake festival

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
by chance, i caught a little thing about this event in the weekend section of the paper. went up there today and watched the snake show and had some food. was a lot of fun and i took plenty of pictures. many didn't turn out good though. :( regardless, here they are.

first snake i saw..albino python of some sort.

rat snake and corn snake or either or both haha

forget what this one was..not a black racer..but i believe it is a florida native.

hognose shown to compare with a pygmy rattler

pygmy rattlesnake

scarlet king

coral snake

forget what this one was as well..it's supposed to be a mimic of a cottonmouth.

cottonmouth

^i bought one of those shirts while i was there.

copperhead

rattlesnake (timber rattlesnake? i can't remember and don't know my rattlesnakes too well.)

rattlesnake shed skin

eastern diamondback

random tortoise

alligator

gila monster

the last snake of the show..a king(?) cobra.

it raised up a few feet in the air when he was trying to remove it from it's box.

was pretty big too!

same python as before.

random other animals on display elsewhere. felt kinda bad for them being locked up in those little cages.

ball python hanging out.

stumbled across this other display amongst all the stands/vendors.

theres me in the reflection. :} yay subhumans!

thats it. was a great time, had some good food, and saw some awesome snakes. got a free poster of floridas venomous snakes which also has a few snakes on there that are just mimics. there were a LOT of people there as well..i was really surprised. granted there were lots of vendors with none snake products, food, activities, live music on a few different stages, and gopher races. {D

on the way back, we stopped at a park that is on a lake, so i took several pics there as well..but i'm gonna post those in a different thread.

craig84

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That random florida native was an indigo snake;) Nice pics by the way.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Those are some cool photos Brian. I would like to check out that festival someday. Let me know when to expect that shirt. :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That cobra is huge! Very nice pics, looks like it was fun. Thanks for sharing man!

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, that Cobra was MASSIVE! :eek: I didn't know they could get that long.

Love the piebald ball pythons, the coloration is gorgeous.

Galadriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol. And that's not a snake shed....it's a SKIN skin.
The cobra is an O. hannah...young King Cobra. Very nice!
The albino is just your standard run-of-the-mill albino burm.
I could never bring myself to to to any type of rattlesnake event when I lived in TX. Too much death and misinformation for sale. I hope this one was different =)

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like a pretty cool event- I hope this wasn't one of those "roundups" where a bunch of rednecks slaughter hundreds of rattlesnakes and think they're doing a service to the community.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
lol. And that's not a snake shed....it's a SKIN skin.
nah, it was pretty transparent if you got a close look at it..there was some backing on it to keep it together which could've added to the depth of color.

danger - quite the opposite. no killing any kind..only dead animals there were pulled pork sandwiches and sausages with peppers and onions. mmm bbq. :D

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wowee that's awesome! The people in this country are huge morons, please bring it here too! They need some educating. I know it applies to everywhere someone goes up and says "y wud u get that lol!!1!! its weird. y not get a dog? lololol!!" but it's especially bad here. I'd love to see more people educated. But then in Ireland what you see is what you get. It seems Europe and america have an actual herp scene. This place don't. Such a pity. I'd love to have gone!

Sunset

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i feel sorry for the cats and beers in those small cages. they don't belong there. I don't think i would go thee just for that reason.

ahas

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The Florida Pinesnake' s nice. I' m a huge Pitouphis fan.

Fred

snakebytes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That random florida native was an indigo snake;) Nice pics by the way.
Are you sure? It looks a lot more like a black pine snake to me, a close relative to the florida pine snake. The head shape just doesn't look like Drymarchon to me.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That guy seemed quite liberal with his handling methods...esp. getting a king cobra by the neck??

But great photos and I'm sure it was an awesome show. LOL some of the audience don't seem as amused though!

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
king cobra can get 16 feet in length and they are very smart animal that can recognize their owner.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Craig84 is right.Thats is a Indigo Snake and it's the largest snake in
north america.You can tell by the black back and black belly.One of
the few all black snake in the world.